SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Nova in Canis Major (mag11 , ,or better ? )

Thanks to  @andrew63 for spotting "Nova in Canis Major - N CMa 2018" in the nova Ophiuchus topic and he has a link in there to the AAVSO finder chart.

Stellarium Search (Strasbourg) does not find it but I got there in the end, locating it via these close by
HIP 34758  HIP 34949  HIP 34993   so a search for any of those will get you in the right area quickly :)

as I will be trying for it (fingers xxed!) with my camera+lens on a tripod, I have turned the AAVSO chart 'right way up' and added the HIP # in green in the version attached. AAVSO light curve below.

novaAAVSOb.thumb.png.dcfe8f6d9fce594c980c0d8a0decd632.png

novaAvvso3.png.91d93451aab4fb8c922235bce29426af.png

Yea ! Gotit !!

For once the cloudGods cooperated, had to go portable and dodge a hedge (either it has grown remarkably or Sirius is no longer in its winter aspect !)  but it was still a bit down in the murk. Not an expert at estimating fine magnitudes but I think it is a fair bit brighter than my title  said  (now edited),,,  maybe 10.5 >10 ?

Not a Heads-up alert as such any longer so I suppose I should do this in the "Variables" section ? Consensus on AAVSO has it about mag10 now.

To see it again here would be a fine thing, and 4cast for next week is not good neiver :(

Archived