Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_rgb_winners.thumb.jpg.76afad2f76e2775222463282012f8ea7.jpg

Swithin StCleeve

star maps for binocular astronomy?

BinocularSky    1,798
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Swithin StCleeve said:

Would you expect to find most of the objects that are in the Sky at Night maps, with 8x40s?

Short answer: Yes.

TL;DNR version: I am aware that a lot of what people think are 10x50s are, in fact, internally stopped to 10x42 or less (one was 10x39!), and the 15x70s are often stopped to 15x62. Also, experience and reasonably good skies aid my observations (and deteriorating eyesight hinders them).  For this reason, I check all the "10x50" objects with 42mm or less (nowadays usually 6.5x32) and the "15x70" objects with 50mm or less. However, I may use the appropriate magnification for e.g. splitting doubles.

Edited by BinocularSky

That's a really useful resource, thanks Steve (I finally had chance to have a good look at it today).

When did the 'Binocular Tour' feature start in the Sky at Night magazine? I think the earliest I have is June 2017.

BinocularSky    1,798
On 10/04/2018 at 19:26, Swithin StCleeve said:

When did the 'Binocular Tour' feature start in the Sky at Night magazine?

April 2013.

• Like 1

broadway    5
Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2018 at 21:24, Swithin StCleeve said:

I noticed in the Sky at Night magazine, Steven Tonkins does a 'binocular tour' every month. I don't subscribe, (I've always bought Astronomy Now), but I think I may start getting Sky at Night regularly, because his binocular sky maps are pretty fantastic.

The bonus content has black on white printable maps.

Edited by broadway
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By rorymultistorey
      Zero budget astrophotography...
      I thought it may be interesting for people wanting a super lightweight and easy to set up form of astrophotography that costs next to nothing. I've taken these three shots with my mobile phone through a pair of cheap binoculars using an ordinary tripod (it belonged to my wife's grandfather). 

The intergration time for each was only a few minutes. 
      Orion: 157 x 1 sec
      Andromeda 300 x 2 sec
      7 sisters 120 x 2sec
      I've made a VIDEO of the method and the surprising adventure I had taking them which you can watch here: 

• By Stargazer McCabe
      Bought 7th February 2017 from FLO. Passing on because of recent Birthday Gift of Helios LightQuest 16x70.
      Nitrogen purged. Box, soft case, strap and all caps in hand. Everything in "as new condition". Have not done anything to optics other than an occasional careful blow with a "blower brush".
      Steve Tonkin's review can be found here: http://binocularsky.com/reviews/Pentax_SP_20x60.pdf
      Current new price at FLO is £219 plus shipping: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pentax-binoculars/pentax-sp-20x60mm-wp-binoculars.html
      Think £130 plus whatever postage or carriage is preferred is fair. But may be prepared to listen to persuasive arguments otherwise...
      I'm happy with PayPal (so long as purchaser covers the fees), Bank Transfer or Cash if anyone wishes to pick them up. They're in Hertfordshire. 

• By Olli
      Hi all,
      im still relitivley knew to learning my way around the sky I thought I’d try and learn as much as I can before getting a scope ( spent the last year or so learning about the science of it all first ) and tonight is quite a good night ( not the best) but I decided to spend an hour or so learning my constellations as I’m pretty rubbish at knowing them all. However I went outside equipped with my binos, turn left at Orion and also Stellarium on my IPad ( made sure I turned on night vision  ). The most obvious place for me to start is Orion as it’s south facing my garden and I always seem to get a good view of it. In a hours session I managed to sort of memories three or 4 constellations. I say 3 or 4 because one of them was fairly low and trees were obstructing the view. Now the ones I’ve managed is obviously Orion  seeing the sword also betelgeuse in the top corner. (south east I think ) of that is  Cannis major with Sirius shining bright as always. After studying Canis Major  abit making sure I know the names of the stars. I turned right on Orion and looked to pleiades ( one of my favourite clusters) I then followed across Perseus and I kept following until the Triangulum. I tried to see the double cluster but I think my binos weren’t having it. After getting to the triangular constellation I tried to find andromeda and just about shining through the trees I could see it ( just).  So after finding Andromeda I decided to call it a night as my thumbs were about to freeze.
       I wanted to also know how did you learn constellations? Did you learn from books or from another method?

Thanks for reading  
    • By Point38
      Hi, does anybody know if stars differ in color when viewed through different sets of binoculars (ex. 7x35, 10x50, 11x80, 20x80)? 
    • By Olli
      Hi all ,
      i currently have an old pair of 7x50 Chinon  binoculars and I’m looking to up grade them, I’ve been looking around and have found some 15x70 binos which look good value. How much of a difference will I notice with these is it a big difference?  If you could recommend me some binos in this price range (<£100) I’d  be much appreciated. As I don’t really have a clue what to look for in binos. Mainly used for star gazing of course  
      Thanks for the help