SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New (beta) versions of 32/64 bit DeepSkyStacker available

Tonk

Hello all - Luc Coiffier (author of DeepSkyStacker) has asked me to post his message about new versions of DeepSkyStacker - specifically there is now a 64 bit version

Hi All,

Thanks to David Partridge and Tony Cook, we have been able to complete the first step of the DSS reboot: a 64 bit version including the last dcraw. The 32 bit version is also updated and includes the same dcraw.

Of course, it's still a beta so we need you to point out the problems.

So feel free to answer here to report bugs or remarks. Especially the bad ones so that we can fix them :wink:Please note that the 32 bit installer is uninstalling any previous DSS version.Anyway, you will find the links to both installers in the link section of the group.Thanks,

Luc

The installers can be found here:

64 bit version - https://github.com/L...64Installer.exe
32 bit version - https://github.com/L...erInstaller.exe

64 bit version as a ZIP file  - https://github.com/LucCoiffier/DSS/releases/download/4.1.0/DeepSkyStacker64Installer.zip
32 bit version as a ZIP file - https://github.com/LucCoiffier/DSS/releases/download/4.1.0/DeepSkyStackerInstaller.zip

(The ZIP versions are provided if your web browser blocks exe file downloads)

I (Tonk) will pick up any issues reported here - but Luc would prefer (if possible) for bugs to be reported on the DeepSkyStacker yahoo group - or if not possible you can also use the GitHub issues page found here - https://github.com/L...fier/DSS/issues

If you are not yet aware - DeepSkyStacker is now an open source project on GitHub - https://github.com/LucCoiffier/DSS

Regards Tonk pp Luc Coiffier

So does this mean that there will no longer be any "Out of Memory" issues with large stacks or with drizzle, so long as your 64-bit system has enough RAM? Sounds excellent if that's the case :)

So does this mean that there will no longer be any "Out of Memory" issues with large stacks or with drizzle, so long as your 64-bit system has enough RAM? Sounds excellent if that's the case

If you have a stack that caused this in the past and it doesn't OOM with the new software - please let us know :)

We have now added ZIPed versions of the installers - use these if your web browser is set to block exe file downloads. You will of course have to unzip them first before installing - links added in first post

I've just successfully created a 2x drizzle stack for the first time from 20Mpx .CR2s on a system with 32GB RAM - problem now is that photoshop says there isn't enough RAM to open the Autosave.tif file - it's 775MB.

I've just successfully created a 2x drizzle stack for the first time from 20Mpx .CR2s on a system with 32GB RAM - problem now is that photoshop says there isn't enough RAM to open the Autosave.tif file - it's 775MB.

Try saving it explicitly from DSS as a 16 bit TIFF (Save Picture to File...). The Autosave files are 32 bit floating point TIFFs.

9 minutes ago, Tonk said:

Try saving it explicitly from DSS as a 16 bit TIFF (Save Picture to File...). The Autosave files are 32 bit floating point TIFFs.

Thanks - I'll give that a try as soon as the image has finished displaying in DSS to allow me to save as 16 bit.  It's been over 30 minutes now watching small blocks of image slowly appearing.

40 minutes ago, GraemeH said:

Scrap that - it appears that what I actually have is a file with 4 times the image space, but my data confined to the upper left quadrant.

If anyone trying this gets: "This programme can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing" in launch, the solution is to install https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows for your specific version of Windows (should only affect users of Vista / Win7 / Win 8.x who are behind on WindowsUpdates / running an offline system and opting out of WindowsUpdates)

10 hours ago, GraemeH said:

Scrap that - it appears that what I actually have is a file with 4 times the image space, but my data confined to the upper left quadrant.

Graeme

If you could email me** the files and let me know the exact settings you used, I'll attempt to reproduce the problem  (**Please use the pm facility on SGL - giving an email address on the open forum is likely to result in you receiving more SPAM than you may have bargained for!!   SGL Mods).

Cheers
Dave

6 hours ago, perdrix said:

Graeme

If you could email me the files and let me know the exact settings you used, I'll attempt to reproduce the problem 

Cheers
Dave

I've sent you a PM with a link to my files on OneDrive.

42 minutes ago, Datalord said:

I just drizzled x3 on a 24mp stack and it didn't run OOM. I consider this a massive success. Best software update I've had for a long, long time.

216MP Sounds like a pretty large file output.

24 minutes ago, pipnina said:

Usually it comes out as a 140MB file. But yes, it makes my gaming machine work for its living when I put it through PS. 

We now understand the bug with drizzle processing where (when using Intersection mode) the output bitmap was 4x or 9x too large with the actual image in the upper left corner.

If you use either Standard mode or "Mosaic" mode you should not hit the problem.

Keep watching this space.

Clear skies,
David

4 hours ago, perdrix said:

We now understand the bug with drizzle processing where (when using Intersection mode) the output bitmap was 4x or 9x too large with the actual image in the upper left corner.

If you use either Standard mode or "Mosaic" mode you should not hit the problem.

Keep watching this space.

Clear skies,
David

Since I presume you're developing the software at the moment, and likely communicate with the rest of the developers. Can I suggest that some code documentation be created? This program going open-source has sparked my interest but with so many folders and files I'd probably spend more time trying to work out which files do what and where than thinking of code. Doesn't have to be a huge amount, just a brief overview in the main readme of what each folder contains, and a brief text in the folders about a bit more detail if necessary. (i.e. the DeepSkyStacker folder might contain a second readme saying things like "the main function is within programstart.cpp" etc.)

Obviously you're all doing amazing work at the moment, but I'd like to be able to commit (and others likely also) and some documentation will likely be a big help :) Thanks.

2 hours ago, pipnina said:

Can I suggest that some code documentation be created? ... Doesn't have to be a huge amount, just a brief overview in the main readme of what each folder contains, and a brief text in the folders about a bit more detail if necessary. (i.e. the DeepSkyStacker folder might contain a second readme saying things like "the main function is within programstart.cpp" etc.)

Obviously you're all doing amazing work at the moment, but I'd like to be able to commit (and others likely also) and some documentation will likely be a big help :) Thanks.

I'm having to work it out as I go along myself with help from Luc C.  Luc is really the only one who knows the code well enough to write descriptions for all the classes.  I will say however that by and large it isn't that much effort to work your way round most of it especially now that I've added a trace capability (Class ZTrace in the ZLib folder).

Quick summary:  There are three main projects in the VS2017 sln file (which is in the root of the DSS tree).  They are DeepSkyStacker, DeepSkyStackerCL and DeepSkyStackerLive whose project files are in the eponymously named folders.  These build the three main components of the distribution.   DeepSkyStackerCL and DeepSkyStackerLive (we generally refer to these as DSSCL and DSSLive) use a lot of code from the DSS folder.   Help is in the Help folder, install scripts for NSIS in the Installer folder.   All the remaining folders are for support libraries that the code uses - they are build internally as projects where necessary or expedient or imported from an external build into the libs folder (and their headers placed in an appropriate folder (e.g. the zlib folder).

HtH
David

20 hours ago, pipnina said:

Lol, the first go I made a square and drizzled a smaller target. As intented, you might say. Tonight I just gave it a full stack and drizzled it. 2.5GB resulting file, the computer had to work hard for it, but it actually did it. Stress test done.

12 minutes ago, Datalord said:

Lol, the first go I made a square and drizzled a smaller target. As intented, you might say. Tonight I just gave it a full stack and drizzled it. 2.5GB resulting file, the computer had to work hard for it, but it actually did it. Stress test done.

Interested to see a comparison between the 1x and the drizzled file.

Archived