Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Vixen 100mm eyepiece (1.25")

Piero

11 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Strangest looking eyepiece i have ever seen, why is it so long?

I guess it's due to the long focal length of this eyepiece.  

In an F15 telescope, it would give an exit pupil of 6.66mm. Still, the FOV is incredibly small..   :dontknow:  

Frankly, I don't understand Vixen's logic.. 

First, the extremely short focal lengths: HR 2.4mm, 2.0mm, 1.6mm; now this 100mm "MISSILE eyepiece" in 1.25" format. :icon_scratch:

Edited by Piero

Bizarre! I would say April Fool, but I don’t think that is very Japanese, is it?

Congrats to Piero though, I don’t think I’ve seen a post before with all five ‘like’ emoticons used ;), although I did use thanks just to complete the set :)

A10B79F4-A7EA-44CB-ACEE-6B9B6C09067F.jpeg

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Bizarre! I would say April Fool, but I don’t think that is very Japanese, is it?

Congrats to Piero though, I don’t think I’ve seen a post before with all five ‘like’ emoticons used ;), although I did use thanks just to complete the set :)

A10B79F4-A7EA-44CB-ACEE-6B9B6C09067F.jpeg

Cheers mate!

I don't know when it came out on the Vixen website. I was looking whether there were updates about the HR 3.4mm, and instead saw this new 100mm...! Not really the same thing.. not really! 

I'm kind of curious to know the eye relief for this new eyepiece... :D  

Do you think it is nearly as long as the top eye rubber?? If so, that seems to be about 7cm!  

Edited by Piero
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Piero said:

I was looking whether there were updates about the HR 3.4mm

Good to hear you are keeping an eye out for the HR 3.4 mm, Piero! Hopefully it will be available later this month. 

Edited by JeremyS

8 hours ago, jkwhinfrey said:

April Fool perhaps, but it turned up on CN on 30 March.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/612994-unusual-vixen-100mm-eyepiece/#entry8490661

New Vixen eyepieces have gone from 3.4mm to 100mm in a few days and missed out everything inbetween. I think they’ve got a plan ;)

James

Japan is across the IDL (International Date Line)

Perhaps a 50 Plossl with built-in Barlow 2x? If it's real. Note it's got Made in China on it. 

Or a Freudian competition with Masuyama :D

Edited by 25585
  • Confused 1

• 2 years later...

I have.  It's 7x in my 4" apo and has a 11° apparent field.

The field looks like it is way off down a tube.

But, the true field is only 1.5° in that scope with the 100mm..

Since my 24mm APM yields a 2.2° field at 30x, I see no value in the Vixen eyepiece as a replacement for a finder scope.

In contrast, my 8x50 finder provides a 6° field, about 4x wider than the Vixen eyepiece.

It's not as wide as a typical finder scope in an 80mm scope with a 480mm focal length (2.3°)

This is one of those, "You made what?" products.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Perhaps it's dual function. Can you turn it around and use it as the objective with one of their HR series to make a complete mini-scope?