SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion Optics UK OD350 14" Dob with StellarCAT & Argo Navis

Hi

Have just completed the install of a ServoCAT Jr. and Argo Navis on my new Orion Optics UK 14" dob. It has one of Orion Optics UK’s Ultra series of mirrors with a 99 Strehl ratio and 97% reflective coatings. I decided on a solid tube dob as it is pretty light weight for a solid tube, and should stay in collimation better than a truss dob. When I can afford it I will upgrade to the double wall carbon fibre tube option, about the same price as the entire ServoCAT system, but zero expansion and super light weight.

• [li]Orion Optics UK OD350 Dobsonian Deluxe[/li]
    [li]99 Strehl ratio with Hilux coatings[/li]
    [li]ServoCat GOTO system[/li]
    [li]Argo Navis DSC[/li]
    [li]Modified ScopeBuggy[/li]
    [li]TeleVue Paracorr[/li]
    [li]Badder Steeltrack focuser[/li]
    [li]10x60 Right angle finder[/li]
    [li]Laser pointer[/li]
    [li]Too many other mods to mention[/li]

I had to sell a few other scopes to pay for it, but at last I have my "Dream Scope" for visual use. I found that a 16" dob was a little too big for local seeing conditions most of the time, and was usually outperformed by a 12", so I chose 14" as being the right size, but with the best optics available anywhere. Only had time for some brief tests (no real observing yet) but all I can say is WOW !!! It's even better than I expected. It's not cheap, but when compared to say a Celestron C14 or a Meade 16" SCT on a proper mount it's a bargain, not to mention being able to outperform either of them as well.

Now if only the new scope cloud curse will go away so I can test it out properly !!!

John

9108_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

9109_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

9112_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

9111_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very impressive John. I'm a bit of an equipment tart myself. However, having spent the kid's inheritance on scopes and kit in the last couple of years, it'd be more than my life's worth to change! (especially as opportunity to use it has been severely curtailed by the very poor weather). Still, a big dob is definately on the 'must have' list. I even bought Kriege and Berry's book with the intention of building one, but the time available triumphed over enthusiasm. I like the Scopebuggy. I've been considering getting one to mount my EQ6 on and save my back. Who's the UK dealer, or did you have to import it?

Hi John I'm glad the money I paid for your lightbridge went to a good cause. I remember you talking about your mirror with 99 Strehl ratio and 97% reflective coatings.

It looks mighty impressive. If you do ever sell this one I might be interested :)

The ScopeBuggy is available from TelescopeHouse. I shrank mine a bit, it's over a foot narrower and a foot shorter now, so it goes through doorways or narrow paths a lot better. I spent a lot of time making up the new round groundboard fron heavy Acetal plate for the ServoCAT drive and mounting it to the ScopeBuggy. Also added wheelchair brakes to stop it rolling away.

John

9116_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

The ScopeBuggy is available from TelescopeHouse. I shrank mine a bit, it's over a foot narrower and a foot shorter now, so it goes through doorways or narrow paths a lot better. I spent a lot of time making up the new round groundboard fron heavy Acetal plate for the ServoCAT drive and mounting it to the ScopeBuggy. Also added wheelchair brakes to stop it rolling away.

John

Looks just the job. I'll have to investigate further. Cheers

Hi

OO will do one off colours. This colour is Traffic Blue. The powder coating paint doesn't cost extra, but cleaning out the spraying equipment before and after the one off colour incurs a charge of £58.00. At least it's a bit different than the standard white OTA.

It took me awhile after testing various scopes to determine that 14" was the optimum aperture for me, at least at this location. I wanted something that could be used most clear nights, not something that could only be used on nights of near perfect seeing one or two nights a year if your really lucky.

When I can afford the carbon fibre tube next year, it will probably have ended up costing about as much as an equivelent Obsession scope, but it will be all UK made, and you can't get an Obsession with better optics than this anyway.

John

It is full GOTO, and in fact is a lot more accurate than say a Celestron or Meade fork mount SCT. Although you can also disengage the drives and use it manually if you want.

For more info check out the manufacturers website http://www.stellarcat.com/ or the Yahoo users group http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ServoCAT/ You can also check out the Obsession website as they fit this system as an option.

It uses a drive roller on the edge of the ground board to drive it in AZ but it is more complex than just a drive motor and gearbox as the electronics are quite sophisticated. It is actually a far more advanced system than you will find on any Meade or Celestron scope. With the Argo Navis included there are a total of three microprocessors controlling it and two encoders on each axis giving scope postion as well as drive motor postion.

The Argo Navis TPAS system actually creates a computer model of the mount and OTA as it moves and measures any flexing and compensates electronically for this for more accurate GOTOs.

John

9224_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I missed this thread.

I'm really impressed with that 'scope - very professional looking mods.

That mount has a serious 'military' look about it :undecided:

I've been thinking of getting an Argo Navis for my dob (as a push-to add-on) and in the process of reading up on them I chanced upon the StellarCat system. They seem to be the ultimate tracking and goto system (coupled with an Argo Navis) for dobs but I'm a bit dubious that a Skywatcher dob base would be robust enough or compatable for a StellarCat - not even sure if they supply the hardware for mounting to a Skywatcher base. The Argo Navis is compatable though and the appropriate mounting hardware is supplied.

It would be nice to have some tracking though. A tracking platform might be the only alternative.

I'm a bit green with envy :)

Have you had a chance to put it through its paces yet?

Fitting the StellarCAT to the SkyWatcher shouldn't be a problem. They have been fitted to several GSO dobs which are very similar to the Skywatcher base.

I haven' had a chance to test it out properly yet since finished a couple of weeks ago, but maybe this weekend? (Cloud gods permiting)

John

Fitting the StellarCAT to the SkyWatcher shouldn't be a problem. They have been fitted to several GSO dobs which are very similar to the Skywatcher base.

I haven' had a chance to test it out properly yet since finished a couple of weeks ago, but maybe this weekend? (Cloud gods permiting)

John

I shall read up some more then - I wouldn't have thought chipboard would be strong enough but if it's been done then I'll surf around for more info.

I would love to own a stellarcat driven dob. This one's got me drooling at the moment but it's way out of my price range

http://www.jimsmobile.com/images/ngt18_orig_color.jpg

Not strictly a dob - the horseshoe style EQ stellarcat driven base is rather special though and almost as compact as a dob base :love10:

Maybe if I win the lottery or something :)

I look forward to your field test reports :undecided:

Archived