Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Market treasure?

Just had a walk around Skipton market and spotted this lovely looking thing.. made in the US of A..

Any thoughts? Looked to be a good f15 maybe 80 or 90mm.. probably an achro but didn't gleam too much from the chap..

20180331_125252.thumb.jpg.4c050ac9fdb4d2215287f7c1884c5670.jpg

20180331_125227.thumb.jpg.3ad7e2e38450daaa139881205bb3a47a.jpg

20180331_125217.thumb.jpg.35656bbdfa4425f65968b8f639d4ef04.jpg

20180331_125214.thumb.jpg.2814cf57391dc4e17983e7d0cedaa543.jpg

Ta

Fozzie

4 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Why do you think it is American ? The label on the telescope says I R Poyser (Engineering) who is currently based in Ceredigion, Wales. 

http://irpoyser.co.uk/

The mount was labelled made in the US..  also he said it was Rochester in the states.. have to admit, now you say that, I remember an eyepiece thread which mentioned the plossl type eps the poyser make.. as per your link..

In hindsight it's the stand that's American then.. and it didn't quite look right with the scope..

Still though the scope was a lovely looking thing..

1 hour ago, SilverAstro said:

£450 in pic 1 as well, just the angle and bend of the label conspire to almost hide the 0  ! I expect @Fozzie would have a new toy now if he could have twisted chaps arm to £45  :)

I suppose I could have made room for £45.. didn't think it was worth £450, even with a vintage tag..

I believe Poyser makes nice (mainly brass) refractors, but I have never looked through one.

If the Optics are decent it ought to be a great doubles scope.

Not so sure about that mount though. I'd have thought you could do much better for a lot less cash, something like a Vixen SP102 plus a GP mount might well be had for under £400-£500?

Dave

18 minutes ago, L8-Nite said:

Judging by the screws not being recessed, I would conclude this is not a professional build.

I'm not sure about that, some of the detailing looked to be very well done, and the finder lenses was clear as a button.. it was remarkably dark in the tube as well, looked well thought, clean and tidy.. it also had a box of brass EPs with it.. the mount looked the weak part a alt-az fork mount, mounted on what looked like a vintage camera tripod.. defo said made in us on it.. 

Interesting find on a rainy afternoon.. 

What I did but btw was a Stanford's awarding winning pork pie, hot out of the oven... juicy and lovely!

7 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

I believe Poyser makes nice (mainly brass) refractors, but I have never looked through one.

If the Optics are decent it ought to be a great doubles scope.

Not so sure about that mount though. I'd have thought you could do much better for a lot less cash, something like a Vixen SP102 plus a GP mount might well be had for under £400-£500?

Dave

There brass 120mm fracs with oak tripod and mounts are nearly £4k on the website.. the eps arnt cheap either!

To be fair I think I'm happy with my set up, if it had been half the price I might have been  tempted, fitted with a nice focuser it would "theoretically" make a great solar system and double star scope..

I commissioned Ian Poyser to make me a 3 inch refractor and mount back in about 1988. I collected it from his home in Rochester (Kent, UK). It was a fine instrument, finished in the same deep blue metallic paint as in Fozzie's pic. I sold it in 1992 when I moved abroad.

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

The mount, I think, is a TeleVue Telepod. I have one here. What do you want for forty-five quid? Blood???

I wish I'd been there!

Olly

You’ve missed a zero Olly! £450 is a slightly different ballgame.

Archived