SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New direction for me

shirva

Moving away from the current trend of short exposure stacked images from video capture after looking through utube videos, I came across a chap who has coupled up his zwo asi 178 to a canon 50mm f1.4 fd lens and I was pretty amazed at the results,. Having a 178 myself and wanting a basic live video view of the night sky, without all the carry on worrying about settings stacking,tracking this appeals to me,,

So I ordered a zwo to eos adapter and tried in on the zwo, great,, screws right in to the body, fitted a canon eos 18-55 kit lens,, fired up sharpcap pro and great few tweaks and had focus,, so pretty pleased,,,

Of course there's always a catch,, could not release the lens from adapter,, the lens went on no problems but the release button just won't play fair,, emailed flo for help last night. Hopefully they can help me out.

No deterred with the minor set back I had a bids in for a canon 50mm f1.8 fd lens,, won it at £19+ £6 delivery and had ordered a fd to eos adapter the other night,, so I have won the lens,, just need to see how it all works out now.

Here's the link to the video that inspired me

Know what you mean,, this is why I'm giving this a go nice fast set up on the az gti. Good chance of getting used lol.

Looking at some more lenses to add to this,, and hopefully incorporate it into a bigger set up on the heq5

Unfortunately not like the chap who does the video that inspired me to go down this road,, weather is poor at my location ,, basically in the Kelvin valley,, lots of low clouds,,,, so it's either long exposure when the weather is good or fast capture ,, there's time's when you just get set up and of course the weather turns,, hopefully with this slight change in equipment I can achieve more,

But I have my car set up with a double din head unit that does android apps, so I have the skywatcher app set up to control the az gti from the car ,,I also have the zwo app, camfi app, and Google skymaps,, but will use a laptop to the zwo. So traveling to a dark site isn't a problem.

Can but try

1 hour ago, Thalestris24 said:

I live near the Kelvin, but close to Kelvinbridge Subway... It's a really bad place to attempt any kind of astronomy. Sigh.

Louise

I'm in Cumbernauld,, so a lot better than where you are,, ive went to a couple of the lectures done by the ASG at the university and came outside and thought how can anything be seen through the lp,, had planned to go up to the botanical gardens at one if there see the stars nights to gauge the difference in weather conditions,,  all good fun lol

4 hours ago, shirva said:

I'm in Cumbernauld,, so a lot better than where you are,, ive went to a couple of the lectures done by the ASG at the university and came outside and thought how can anything be seen through the lp,, had planned to go up to the botanical gardens at one if there see the stars nights to gauge the difference in weather conditions,,  all good fun lol

It's very difficult. Narrowband/Ha with a 3.5nm filter is about the best option.

Louise

48 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

It's very difficult. Narrowband/Ha with a 3.5nm filter is about the best option.

Louise

Yeah I had a chat with steppenwolf about what I was thinking and got plenty of tips from him,, I got the baader 7nm to see how it works out and a oiii filter from another company ..

Primarily these were earmarked for my sw ed80 but waiting on delivery of my sw ed72 from RVO..so more than likely it will be a quick test ,, Steve has told me to go mono so probably go with one of my watec 902h analogue cameras,,

8 minutes ago, shirva said:

Yeah I had a chat with steppenwolf about what I was thinking and got plenty of tips from him,, I got the baader 7nm to see how it works out and a oiii filter from another company ..

Primarily these were earmarked for my sw ed80 but waiting on delivery of my sw ed72 from RVO..so more than likely it will be a quick test ,, Steve has told me to go mono so probably go with one of my watec 902h analogue cameras,,

I suppose the reasons for going mono include increased resolution, greater sensitivity and simpler processing. I have a mono, cooled Canon 550d but it's not been working for a long time. However, I recently got a replacement main board via Ebay so will have to psych myself up to have a go at fitting the new board :)  If I can get the camera working again I should be able to get the best from my Baader 3.5nm Ha.

Louise

1 hour ago, Thalestris24 said:

I suppose the reasons for going mono include increased resolution, greater sensitivity and simpler processing. I have a mono, cooled Canon 550d but it's not been working for a long time. However, I recently got a replacement main board via Ebay so will have to psych myself up to have a go at fitting the new board :)  If I can get the camera working again I should be able to get the best from my Baader 3.5nm Ha.

Louise

Never attempted striping down my canon cameras,, chicken lol.

I bought a modded 450d to go with my two 600d camera's,, hadn't a care in the world striping down my Samsung scb2000 camera's and fitting fan mods,,

Left hand knackered due to an injury at work,, fiddly stuff out if my reach these days,, still working as a mechanic but frustrating at times due to nerve damage

2 hours ago, shirva said:

Never attempted striping down my canon cameras,, chicken lol.

I bought a modded 450d to go with my two 600d camera's,, hadn't a care in the world striping down my Samsung scb2000 camera's and fitting fan mods,,

Left hand knackered due to an injury at work,, fiddly stuff out if my reach these days,, still working as a mechanic but frustrating at times due to nerve damage

Me neither - I paid someone to do it for me! :)

Louise

Slight problem with the zwo adapter has been sorted,,, many thanks to grant,, FLO,,

The camera lens release is not a push in to release,, it's a slide motion away from lens.

Looking forward to my fast lenses coming,,, well,, hopefully the snow may stop soon as well

Based on the initial post I went out and bought an adapter straight away — “why didn’t I think of that!” I thought. 

I have an ASI290 mono and a 50mm f1.8 at home. Put the two together with the adaptor and the result is fantastic. I’m in London so the light pollution is terrible but you can point this thing at an apparently empty gap in the clouds (nelm was about 2.5-3) and see loads in full motion video, not even stacking. I didn’t even put it on a tripod, I was just waving it around in the direction of the sky.

Unfortunately the weather had not been co-operating at all this year. So this was the only night I had and it was still very cloudy. I’d really like to test it in a wide field target and <10s exposure on my GTI too. I might also try to get my filter wheel working on it to further eliminate the lp.

It does start give you a taste of what the f1.9 hyperstar experience is like. Great post shirva!

Wow,, beat me to it, lol,,, great stuff just what I'm wanting myself,,instant live video,,

Poor man's hyperspace ,,?

I unfortunately got the wrong adapter,, new one on order.

I did try my filter wheel and it does fit ,, just needs dark skies testing,, very interested in how you get on

Archived