Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

There are some very impressive phone pics being posted. The timing of this challenge has been really good for me since I got my televue fonemate adapter in December (along with my night vision monoculars) and have been learning ever since.

Its become clear to me that the iPhone isn’t very good as an Astro camera since it can’t longer than 1/2 second exposures. So I’ve recently upgraded to a Samsung s9 to get the ability to do 10 second exposures and it definitely gives more detail.

I’ve struggled to use the phone processing apps to improve the photos and generally find I lose detail. However I’m relatively happy with this one of M81 and M82, taken using my C11 and NV. Processed with snapseed.

95BB78E0-EF90-451F-94C4-4282463907AF.jpeg

That's a great capture.

From reading earlier posts in this thread I thought there was an app mentioned or iOS that does do long exposures, as I went and read about to see if the developer also did an Android version, they didn't.

9 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

That's a great capture.

From reading earlier posts in this thread I thought there was an app mentioned or iOS that does do long exposures, as I went and read about to see if the developer also did an Android version, they didn't.

The nightcap app does 15 second exposures but in fact it’s 1/2 second exposures stacked together for 15 seconds. So you get a smoother appearance but don’t get the extra detail that a ‘proper’ long exposure from the Samsung will give when using it in ‘pro’ mode.

Archived