Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Decided to put  cooling fans on my newtonians a 200pds and a 130pds ,used a 120mm on the 200 and a 80mm on the 130pds ,i used, Be Quite silent Wings2 fans they  use rifle bearings and are so quite German made, i did the 200 first and was impressed with this make so ordered the same make for the 130 pds it comes with a lead with four wires but only needed neg ang pos so snipped other two out ,  made a disc from plastic and cut out around collimation screws on primary then used velcro to attach to OTA  fitted a 2.1mm  dc socket on to the disc then bought a usb lead  to 2.1mm barrel though i may fit another 2.1mm socket on my power box and use 12v either way it works ,i used a dimmer on the 200pds but it doesnt need it and wouldn't use it again but its fitted now so will leave in place. 

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

• Like 2

Looks very  neat :)

Is it pulling down through or pushing up the air?

I use a Flexi hose from a tumble dryer and hook that over the open focuser. The other end lies on the ground with a PC fan inside the opening using a 9V PP3 type battery, the type you'll find in a smoke alarm.

Air is drawn though the base of the scope around the mirror, and exits though the Flexi-hose, and some no doubt exiting via the small 2" filter cap that I remove from the OTA end cap.

I would  really like to have two fans, sucking/blowing ACROSS the face of my primary mirror, but not wanting to drill just yet, I'm quite happy with the present setup I use.

I feel there is a definitely an improvement to the waiting time, prior to using higher magnification.

Edited by Charic

10 minutes ago, Tim said:

Looks very  neat :)

Is it pulling down through or pushing up the air?

pushing air up ota ,because it is velcroed onto ota base little air lost and forces around mirror 

7 minutes ago, Charic said:

I use a Flexi hose from a tumble dryer and hook that over the open focuser. The other end lies on the ground with a PC fan inside the opening using a 9V PP3 type battery, the type you'll find in a smoke alarm.

Air is drawn though the base of the scope around the mirror, and exits though the Flexi-hose, and some no doubt exiting via the small 2" filter cap that I remove from the OTA end cap.

I would  really like to have two fans, sucking/blowing ACROSS the face of my primary mirror, but not wanting to drill just yet, I'm quite happy with the present setup I use.

I feel there is a definitely an improvement to the waiting time, prior to using higher magnification.

im sure  one fan will be sufficient ,i will leave tube cap on and focuser open to cool down ,then leave fan on during operation ,

Edited by bottletopburly

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By orfest
      Hi,
      I've been trying out astrophotography from home, where 220V socket is available with unlimited power.
      I want to be taking my setup to the field next year, but I'm wondering how to power all the devices.
      Current setup:
      The mount (10micron GM1000) needs 24V@3A (peak 4A). To get 24V@3A I need 12V@6A DSLR that can run from batteries, and I have lots of spare batteries on standby Raspberry Pi to control the devices, 5V@3A, equivalent to 12V@1.25A Dew Heater that I've just got, but never used, needs 12V@1A I'm considering some upgrades in the near future:
      An autofocuser, 12V. Power requirements should be minimal. Replace DSLR with a cooled camera, 12V. I don't know what I'll get, but top models need 3A. Don't know how much of it is used by cooling, and how much is used by the sensor. Questions:
      Is it safe to power the mount from a DC hub? My mount's manual says "Please don’t use unregulated power supplies because the output voltage of these units is not good enough to operate the mount.". I didn't find anything that says the warranty is void if not using the pre-approved power supplies. If I don't want to power the mount from the DC hub, how can I power the mount and the DC hub from the same battery? I saw these funny devices on Aliexpress but don't know if they are any good: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32911966417.html What kind of batteries do you use to provide multiple Amperes to all the equipment all night long? Mount needs 6A (at 12V), cooled CMOS camera needs 3A, dew heater needs 1A, Pi needs 1.25A. That's 11.25A at 12V, which is 135W of power. The battery must be huge. I saw discussions of various DC hubs here:

• By WiltsStarGazer
      Hi,
      having started with a 130P on an eq mount.I wanted something with more light gathering on a alt-azimuth mount. I didn't want to go down the Dob route although that would have been a lot easier and cheaper.🙄
      So I have now got a 200P on a Skytee on a Manfrotto tripod.
      My question is why do all the pictures I have seen of this set up have the scope side mount rather than the top mount.
      Is it just a question of weight if you also add counterweights under the top mount? I understand the recommended max weight is 10kg per mount although some places say 15kg.
      As it is a lot easier to mount the scope on the top mount than the side one (I nearly dropped it on the first attempt) and it seems counterintuitive to have the weight of the scope hanging off the side mount instead of sitting on top of the top one.
      Thanks.

• By Witcherking10
      Hello all,
      I always been fascinated by astronomy and finally purchased a celestron nexstar 8se. Setup went smoothly but I'm a little stuck on the lens. I attached the star diagonal to the telescope and focused in on an object. I was able to see a part of the leaf on the plant in my house and I attached a picture of that. Moving the telescope left and right allowed me to see other things. I then took out the 25mm lens and can see through that when not attached to the telescope. I can see my sandals and feet through the lens and attached a picture of that. I then inserted the 25mm lens into the star diagonal and that's where all hope gets lost. I see white (assuming that's my wall) and yes the cover on the telescope is also off. No matter where I move the telescope. All I see is white. I tried last night in clear skies and pointed towards some clear stars using the skyportal app to align but I didnt see anything except pitch black through the lens. I also played with the focus but nothing. Am I doing something wrong, I would think the 25mm wouldnt be so zoomed in that I cant see anything? Thanks for any help you can provide me. Looking forward to exploring!!

• By Astrofriend
      I continue my reports from observatories I have visited. This one is very special for me, I did my education in astrophysics at this place in the 1990s. My girlfriend and I took the car this weekend and visited Saltsjöbaden for a walk, only 30 km from where we live. We ended the walk up at the Stockholm's Observatory.
      Some photos from this beautiful place:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/observatory-sites/saltsjobaden-observatory/01-stockholms-observatory.html
      One of the observatories at this photos is the astrograph which I already earlier had written about.
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/observatory-sites/saltsjobaden-astrograph/saltsjobaden-astrograph.html
      Lars
    • By Spacecake2
      What telescope brand would you choose?
      Reply below for your favourite telescope brand. It would be really helpful to know which brand to buy.
      Celestron, Meade, Orion, Skywatcher  etc.  
      Thank you for viewing

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.