SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Quick question. Is it worth buying an 8mm TeleVue Plossl 8mm when I already have a 15mm which I can Barlow down with my x2 Celestron Xcel LX ?

pblackwell

Hi folks, Quick question. Is it worth buying an 8mm TeleVue Plossl 8mm when I already have a 15mm which I can Barlow down with my x2 Celestron Xcel  LX ?

Telescope is a Celestron 9.25 SCT

Im tempted because the 8mm is on sale, but trying to be wise.

Thanks all!

Paul

3 hours ago, alanjgreen said:

If you are comfortable with the 6mm of eye relief then go for it.

If not then consider these (at same or similar price) but with wider field and more eye relief

https://www.telescopehouse.com/eyepieces/explore-scientific-eyepieces/explore-scientific-62-ler-eyepieces/explore-scientific-62a-ler-eyepiece-9mm-ar.html

Hi, yes I’ve been considering buying an explore scientific eyepiece. I have a couple of cyber nebular filters and they are quality.

4 hours ago, pblackwell said:

Hi folks, Quick question. Is it worth buying an 8mm TeleVue Plossl 8mm when I already have a 15mm which I can Barlow down with my x2 Celestron Xcel  LX ?Telescope is a Celestron 9.25 SCT
Im tempted because the 8mm is on sale, but trying to be wise.
Thanks all!
Paul

If its at the right price for you then buy it, build a set, if its not right, it will sell on.
I tried the 8mm and the 11mm and found the eye relief rather short to deal with and the eye lens rather small compared to my BST's.
That said I went back to the 8mm and 11mm to better compare some Plössl's but decided the Revelation astro Plössl works just as good and to be honest, far cheaper than any second hand TV Plössl and not only that, they provided shorter focal lengths, which I thought I needed back then?
Apart from the longest focal lengths, I now have a full Revelation Plössl set that works well, but I could live without the Plössl's, and be just as happy with my BST's, as they provide me the most comfort.

• 1 month later...
On 27/05/2018 at 09:47, Arcturus D said:

If you are hunting for very faint objects, then I would go for the fixed 8mm.Less glas potentially more light remaining.

For brighter objects the Barlow should be fine.

My Nagler eyepieces seem to work okay for Galaxy hunting and they have inbuilt Barlow elements.

In fact I often use them with a powermate for locating and observing some very faint objects. :) 

Archived