Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO camera image orientation

I only take pictures of the moon.

Up to now, I have always used a Canon DSLR using a prime focus attachment to an ED80 scope.

Using this method, I can take images in either portrait or landscape orientation using Live View (as far as I know no mirrors are involved).

I have recently acquired a ZWO ASI120MM camera and have noticed some different behaviour.

If I use the camera the "right way up" I get a landscape orientation, some times upside down depending on which way I turn the camera.

If I rotate the camera 90 degrees (trying to get portrait orientation), I get the landscape image turned through 90 degrees.

Two questions:

1. Why is this happening? What is the difference between the DSLR and ZWO camera when taking images.

2. Can you get portrait orientation with the ZWO camera? If so, how?

Tony

A DSLR has accelerometers so it knows which orientation it's in and then will save the image accordingly.

A CMOS camera will always read out the image the same way and you can then either rotate the image after the fact or, if your capture software supports it you may be able to rotate as part of the capture process.

I think the difference is that in ZWO camera there is no orientation sensor. When you picture with DSLR, the camera "knows" how it is oriented and can rotate image. For images made with ZWO you need to rotate it by yourself in computer. It is just a software operation.

Uh, second again :)

Archived