BAA?

algol

Hi

I'm a member, and have contributed to several of the observing sections over the years. However, I often find some of the aritcles too technical and hard going for me. I do find that the articles on the history of astronomers and astronomy to be some of the best I've seen in print.

At £42, I'm now taking a serious look at cancelling my membership and buying the odd high-street magazine which seems more aimed at my level.

I'm a member, and think it's worthwhile - the journal is pretty technical at times, but the quality's quite high and it's better than the RAS one in my view - I do wonder why i'm an RAS member at times. Like a lot of these things I suspect it's down to the use you make of it, i'm just a passive member of the BAA really but if you get involved in any of the sections then I suspect that membership is money well spent.

I concur with Ben. When an issue is filled with Jupiter 2005 or the like it is not much fun/use. But given that the high street mags have alll gone a bit 'soft', there have been a number of good articles. Anyhow, being a member supports UK amatuer astronomy (you can also support the Campaign For Dark Skies too), which I feel more than justifies the cost. £42 is only a couple of cafe lunches or a minor Starbucks addiction...

As mentioned, you have the chance to contribute both to the observing sections but also potentially articles too, in a peer reviewed journal. Not often you get a chance to do that.

Cheers

PEter

Archived