Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Trikeflyer

How to lose 2 hours

I was about to go to bed at about 11pm last night and looked out at the moon - the skies were clear so go the revelation 8 inch dob out and decided to do some lunar viewing as I was off work today.

I was drawn to the Mare Humorum area and the crater Gassendi which looks so different that when it's near the terminator.  It looked so flat with the light from above. That said, In moments of good seeing I could just make out the Rilles in Gassendi - amazing. The Kelvin prom and scarp were textured well and had a bit of depth tonight. Saw Hippalus with its tiny central crater and again in odd moments of good seeing I could just make out the hippalus Rilles. Managed Kies which was almost invisible but couldnt get the domes so number 60 on the lunar 100 will have to wait!  All the craters in the area were nice tonight and the contrast between the ruined craters Puiseux and Kies and the deeper Viyella with its central peak was stark. The Liebig scarp looked as if someone had taken a pencil and drawn it on the landscape.  The amazing thing was that the next time I looked at my watch it was 1am. I couldnt believe that 2 hours had passed by and it seemed like just a few minutes! Does anyone else notice how time seems to speed up when you are enthralled by a particular target? Tonight I experienced the phenomenon of 'the more you look, the more you see'.  I spent much longer looking at individual features tonight than I'd probably ever done before and armed with the trusty 21st century atlas of the moon I was able to see things that I'm sure I would have missed without it.

I'll be paying the Mare Humorum area a visit again, that is for sure.

Hope others had the benefit of some clear skies last night too.

Steve

• Like 8

Hello. I have lost numerous hours looking at targets like you . You get so engrossed in the hobby and views, tucked away in your own little world behind the eyepiece, That time simply flies by . What you think has been a 30min session is really 2 to 3 hour's.😱

As they say,  time fly's by when you are enjoining yourself 😀

• Like 1

I agree the more you look the more you see on any target. I'm a big fan of the moon, as time has gone by and I have built up hours of observing I look forward to lunar sessions more not less.

45 minutes ago, Paz said:

I agree the more you look the more you see on any target. I'm a big fan of the moon, as time has gone by and I have built up hours of observing I look forward to lunar sessions more not less.

Definitely Paz. I like observing the moon. It is enjoyable from my light polluted back West Midlands garden. In itself it is an easy to locate target so requires less set up no dark adaptation but I've found that there are many levels one can approach observing the moon. There are easy and tricky objects within it.  In the past I've almost casually looked and not seen the detail. I have changed my approach to focus on less and get more from each object. I can highly recommend the 21st century atlas of the moon and the Gerald North book called observing the moon, both have added immensely to my lunar observing enjoyment.

Steve

• Like 2

Ive found the same thing, I have over time narrowed down how much I try to look at. Ive got the 21st century atlas but not Gerald North s book. Unfortunately I don't think I would get away with adding another astronomy book to the bookshelf!

• Haha 1

Great report Steve. I’ve had the last two nights whizzing by like that, It’s nice to have weather that allows you to do it. 

• Like 1