SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Bubble Nebula in Ha Colourised

gorann

This is a wide field image from my Canon 300mm telephoto lens from about a week ago. Never got the chance to collect the corresponding RGB data before it disappeared behind my obsy wall, so since I am a sucker for colour I took the liberty to colourize it. After all it is mainly Ha in this object, but as soon as I get RGB data I will post the proper version but I am afraid that it will not happen this season as it is getting low on the horizon. Unmodded Canon 60D with Astronomik 12nm Ha clip filter. ISO1600. 15 x 10 min.

Comments & suggestions most welcome, including angry ones that argue that Ha images should be in B/W

Cheers

Göran

IMG5556-70PS3large+ES127PS3Colour8frameSmallSign.jpg

I will forego the "angry" comment (although, I am one of those people!).

Collecting Ha with an unmodified canon? I don't know the 60D specifically, but I think that is quite some feat. You have certainly obtained a lot of signal while retaining the obvious bubble-shape in the middle of it all. Will await next season with anticipation of the continuation ...

Thanks! The thing is that I also have a 60Da which is the factory modified one with full Ha sensitivity, but it was sitting on my 5" refractor that night (side by side). The 60D lets through about 25% of the Ha and apparently it is enough for a decent image (the Ha senistivity varies a lot among standard DSLRs and the 60D is among the best - some will only let through a few %). I expect that the 12 nm Ha filter that I used, rather than 6 or 3 nm, helps a bit with getting light to the sensor even if it will reduce the contrast. I do have a mono CCD but that chip is just so small - and I wanted to check out a bit more space.

Archived