Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

orion25

Venus & Uranus Conjunction

Here is a single two-second exposure of the close conjunction of Venus (the brighter object on the left) and Uranus (the fainter, bluish-green object to the right) at ISO 1600. It is a prime focus image taken through my 127mm Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope about an hour after sunset. A striking pair visible in a telescopic view!

5abc436faa0da_ASTRONOMY-VENUSURANUSCONJUNCTION3-28-18A.thumb.jpg.38574b56be5bc4bc334abdab6f257857.jpg

Reggie

• Like 12

Good shot Reggie. Well done! :) 

• Thanks 1

I first looked at this picture on my phone on the bus this morning and could not see Uranus at all. But on my desktop it is clear and I think that is quite impressive for a 10-magnitude difference.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, everyone! There was a big shelf of cloud that thankfully dissolved shortly after sunset so I could get this shot.

Thanks, Reggie.

5abd49998f6e2_giphy(4).gif.db3dba71a2a1631926f1877b490cda67.gif

I've been hoping to see this conjunction myself. All I need is a bit of cooperation from the weather!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

That's some dynamic range for one picture!

It was a challenge, Stub! I was changing settings furiously trying to find the best balance of brightness. Just enough to see Uranus clearly but not too much, lol!

Edited by orion25
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Ruud said:

Thanks, Reggie.

5abd49998f6e2_giphy(4).gif.db3dba71a2a1631926f1877b490cda67.gif

I've been hoping to see this conjunction myself. All I need is a bit of cooperation from the weather!

Thanks, Ruud! Wishing you clear skies!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DarkAntimatter said:

Nice shot.  Makes me wish even more that it hadn't been cloudy here.

Thanks, DarkAntimatter! Hope some clear skies come your way, soon!

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 09:21, Grotemobile said:

I will second all that .Very good for a 5" scope.:headbang:

Thanks, Grotemobile! I get some great views with my lil' Mak :happy10:

On 3/29/2018 at 05:29, Demonperformer said:

I first looked at this picture on my phone on the bus this morning and could not see Uranus at all. But on my desktop it is clear and I think that is quite impressive for a 10-magnitude difference.

This pic from last year of Venus and Neptune shows an even larger magnitude difference (not sure of how much though):

5abe659bb8ee2_ASTRONOMY-VENUSNEPTUNE(ZOOMCAPTION)1-12-17SM.thumb.jpg.0e0970a1caef981a5493d32f71dd8b19.jpg

Venus was much closer to Earth at the time, in a large crescent phase (overexposed in the pic, however). This pic is even more striking!

Edited by orion25
add text
  • Like 1

Neptune in generally a couple of magnitudes fainter than Uranus, so that would be about 12 mag difference, or ~62,500x

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2018 at 00:27, Knighty2112 said:

Good shot Reggie. Well done! :) 

Thanks, Gus! I almost mistook Uranus for an annoying star in the field, lol!

1 minute ago, Demonperformer said:

Neptune in generally a couple of magnitudes fainter than Uranus, so that would be about 12 mag difference, or ~62,500x

WOW! That's QUITE a difference, DP, lol.

On 3/29/2018 at 01:31, Pete Presland said:

Lovely capture Reggie, the colour contrast is very pleasing to the eye isn't it.

Thanks, Pete! Yes, I always love the colour differences. My new camera does very well with colors.:hello2:

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Partha Sinha
      I snapped a few photographs of the Venus on 28th evening and surprisingly noticed a circular rainbow like pattern around the Venus. 
      I'm attaching  a photo of the Venus and the moon together and another of the Venus with its blown up image as an inset. 
      The Venus appears too small in the photo with the Moon appearing on the left side but, this pattern can still be observed when the image is blown up.
      I had snapped such photos of Venus earlier and have also done so on the next day but, none of those showed this peculiar/accidental feature.
      Could any of you please inspect the photos and let me know weather it's really a rainbow around the Venus or not.

• By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      yesterday evening after doing the sketch of the three-day old moon, we had a wonderful twilight scene with Venus and the Moon over here.
      So I did a pastel sketch how I recalled it afterwards:

Clear skies!
      Achim
    • By ShrewView
      With the extra time I have at the moment, and the weather being so good, I’ve been catching up on a few jobs I’ve been meaning to do. One of these is the re-spotting and recollimation of the mirror on my newt. I found I didn’t have any ring binder re-enforcers but made something similar by hole punching a self-adhesive label and carefully cutting out.

With the collimation done and the sun setting I was keen to see whether my time had been well spent. I think it was November when I last had a proper evening of astro, my efforts earlier this week got hazed out, so I was looking forward to this!

First up was Venus in the early twilight. Using my binoviewers and a couple of filters in combination (a ND0.9 and the baader neodinium) I got some encouragement with some good sharp views. I could almost swear I could see a little detail but I’m sure that was just wishful thinking. I also tried a UHC and O111 filters as I had some, but they didn’t show anything better. In fact, the O111 had the peculiar effect that after a few minutes observing a bright green target, when I came to look up at Venus by eye, it appeared a bright and angry orange colour, like Arcturus on steroids.

After Venus I chose M45 and then the open clusters in Auriga and this was where my earlier work really showed its value. So many pin sharp little stars, far more than I recall when I last viewed these targets. I always feel surprised at how good these targets are though with M37 and 38 the best of them, being a bit more compact.

I also had my new TS80mm frac out to see what I could catch and to compare views of the same targets. All were pleasing, albeit smaller in scale. I was also glad to be able to spot M65 and 66 in Leo. Obviously not as good as in the bigger newt which will show the triplet of galaxies in the same field. Still, I’m happy to know I can pick those up in my local skies with this little scope. It bodes well for darker sky trips in future.

I followed up with some globs and ended with M13 in Hercules. Always a favourite, but by now a thin film of ice was settling on the scopes and my chair so it was time to call it a night.

I’ve been really cheerful today as a result of getting some scope time in, which just shows the value of a good hobby in times like these.

Thanks for reading.

• By JBR1194
      Hello
      I recently purchased a new celestron telescope and set it up last night to use for the first time. I live in UK, around 8/9pm-ish I took my telescope outside to view Venus in the western sky as it was v bright, perfect opportunity.
      After finding Venus and increasing the focus I realised that there was something like a large black circle in the centre of the bright blue/white ring of light. Before focussing, it appeared to be just v bright light. 
      I am wondering if anyone can explain to me why this black circle appeared on / in front of Venus.  I thought it looked like a moon, which is obviously incorrect but it looked that way. Is it possibly sulphuric clouds of Venus absorbing light? 
      Any information/help is much appreciated
      happy observing, all!
    • By Xilman
      At long last I have managed to image Caliban, also known as Uranus XVI. It is a small (circa 72km) outer satellite of Uranus which was discovered in September 1997 using the Hale 5m telescope at Palomar. Incidentally, Sycorax (U-XVII)was discovered in the same observing session.  That satellite is around 1.7 magnitude brighter and so much easier to observe.
      Although a  three hours exposure, unfiltered for maximum sensitivity, was used the signal to noise ratio is barely 3 and serious image processing was needed to produce a relatively clear image. Even so, it is not especially obvious. The reason is that the MPOC ephemeris predicts that the satellite has a magnitude of 22.2 at the time of observation. More information is available at http://www.astropalma.com/Projects/Satellites/caliban.html

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.