SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Venus & Uranus Conjunction

orion25

Here is a single two-second exposure of the close conjunction of Venus (the brighter object on the left) and Uranus (the fainter, bluish-green object to the right) at ISO 1600. It is a prime focus image taken through my 127mm Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope about an hour after sunset. A striking pair visible in a telescopic view!

5abc436faa0da_ASTRONOMY-VENUSURANUSCONJUNCTION3-28-18A.thumb.jpg.38574b56be5bc4bc334abdab6f257857.jpg

Reggie

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

That's some dynamic range for one picture!

It was a challenge, Stub! I was changing settings furiously trying to find the best balance of brightness. Just enough to see Uranus clearly but not too much, lol!

On 3/29/2018 at 05:29, Demonperformer said:

I first looked at this picture on my phone on the bus this morning and could not see Uranus at all. But on my desktop it is clear and I think that is quite impressive for a 10-magnitude difference.

This pic from last year of Venus and Neptune shows an even larger magnitude difference (not sure of how much though):

5abe659bb8ee2_ASTRONOMY-VENUSNEPTUNE(ZOOMCAPTION)1-12-17SM.thumb.jpg.0e0970a1caef981a5493d32f71dd8b19.jpg

Venus was much closer to Earth at the time, in a large crescent phase (overexposed in the pic, however). This pic is even more striking!

1 minute ago, Demonperformer said:

Neptune in generally a couple of magnitudes fainter than Uranus, so that would be about 12 mag difference, or ~62,500x

WOW! That's QUITE a difference, DP, lol.

On 3/29/2018 at 01:31, Pete Presland said:

Lovely capture Reggie, the colour contrast is very pleasing to the eye isn't it.

Thanks, Pete! Yes, I always love the colour differences. My new camera does very well with colors.:hello2:

Archived