Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Few New Doubles, Fighting The Haze

cloudsweeper

8.15pm, the first stars were appearing, 8SE out and cool, but there was poor transparency and a bright hazy Moon.  Thought I'd try for some unvisited doubles.

I initially aligned on the Moon, but apart from being blinded, it turned out not so good compared with the usual approach of using two named stars, which I then used.

25 CVn - binary, 1.7" separation.  Located as usual with the SAO number, and confirmed by star patterns in the region.  This should have been easily manageable, but the haziness was against me, and the target was fuzzy at x203, 169.  At x113, although sharper, it could not be split, understandably. 

So - to something less challenging: Sigma 1695 (UMa) - a triple, but visual double, 3.8".  Now we're getting somewhere - sharp at x56, just split at x113, better at x169, mismatched and not very sharp.

A quick check with the famous Mizar/Alcor (UMa) for an idea of scale - bright, near matched pair, 14", clearly split at x56.  With that as a reference, I moved on to the last target:

24 Comae Berenices - another triple system, visual double, 20".  Great - a clear split at x56, separation looking slightly greater than for Mizar/Alcor (although dimmer), mismatched, with an orange primary and a blue/white companion.

Finished after 1hr 20mins, cold, with a dewy 'scope, but satisfied with my observations.

Doug.

Interesting that Doug, I tend to get my first stars about 30 minutes before that though we are looking at about your time before it's really dark now. I always feel sorry for members up in Scotland, it must be almost midnight before it's dark there in JUne, that's if it ever really gets dark.

Alan

2 hours ago, alan potts said:

Interesting that Doug, I tend to get my first stars about 30 minutes before that though we are looking at about your time before it's really dark now. I always feel sorry for members up in Scotland, it must be almost midnight before it's dark there in JUne, that's if it ever really gets dark.

Alan

It hardly gets very dark round here either in June, Alan.  

But generally, my problem is I often try to start a tad early, being so darn keen!  

Doug.

On ‎28‎-‎3‎-‎2018 at 23:24, cloudsweeper said:

24 Comae Berenices - another triple system, visual double, 20".  Great - a clear split at x56, separation looking slightly greater than for Mizar/Alcor (although dimmer), mismatched, with an orange primary and a blue/white companion.

Nice report Doug,

Never seen a triple system, so 24 Comae Berenices now is on my to do list, thanks!

42 minutes ago, Eastman said:

Nice report Doug,

Never seen a triple system, so 24 Comae Berenices now is on my to do list, thanks!

You should give Beta Monocerotis and Sigma Orionis a go, the latter being a lovely quad.

1 hour ago, Eastman said:

Nice report Doug,

Thanks, Eastman.  One thing - 24 Com is indeed a triple, but only two components can be seen (visual double) - the other can only be identified by spectroscopic or other means.  Two visual components are rewarding though, especially when tight (maybe a few seconds of arc) and with colours evident.

Another nice multiple to try is the Double Double, Epsilon Lyrae.  Four components can be seen.

Doug.

5 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Another nice multiple to try is the Double Double, Epsilon Lyrae.  Four components can be seen

Thanks Doug, these are great objects when the moon is up.

I really beginning to like these double stars, now it's time to see a multiple star system

Archived