Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

Anybody from the UK ever buy a Feathertouch  Microfocuser from the US?  I’m considering replacing my Baader Steeltrack with the Feathertouch.  Comparing prices in the UK against suppliers in the US it seems that it might be beneficial to buy direct from the US, especially considering that as a CN member you get 10% discount from Astronomics.  If the package is small enough it might just get by customs as well 🙂 

I've not bought a Feather Touch, but have bought many items from the US and always found it a pleasurable experience. Custom's is hit and miss, but has to be balanced against the purchase if your unlucky and hit with it.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 09:03, DeepSkyMan said:

Feathertouch  Microfocuser ....... If the package is small enough it might just get by customs as well 🙂 

For which scope? The Feathertouch I bought for my Edge HD8 came in a box about 4"x4"x10" and most of that space was air. It's a very nice focuser, a work of art, made a huge difference on my scope. If it is one of the models for a refractor, it will be a bigger box, but not as big as a shoebox at any rate. 

DSC00220.JPG

Thanks for the feedback guys, in the end I placed the order with FLO.  Was given a bum steer initially by a price of £334 at one website, which is what prompted me to look at US suppliers.  

Kind Regard

Paul.

Edited by DeepSkyMan

Do these have any impact on mirror flip, or just give finer control?

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

Do these have any impact on mirror flip, or just give finer control?

If you mean mirror flop then no, they don't do anything about that.

They are fantastic though and really don't add any weight to the back end of the scope, the external Crayford alternatives really make SCT's back heavy (especially 11").

Mirror flop is not really a big issue with Celestron SCT, more a Meade issue.

Edited by alanjgreen

2 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

If you mean mirror flop then no, they don't do anything about that.

They are fantastic though and really don't add any weight to the back end of the scope, the external Crayford alternatives really make SCT's back heavy (especially 11").

Mirror flop is not really a big issue with Celestron SCT, more a Meade issue.

Thanks Alan.

I’ve certainly seen mirror flop on Celestron SCTs that I found annoying, particularly focusing at high power. It seems to vary from scope to scope though.

With the incorporation of the mirror locks in the EdgeHD design, from an imaging perspective, mirror flop is not really an issue, that is of course if the claims by Celestron are to be believed🙂

Edited by DeepSkyMan