Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CdC custom horizon

I'm thinking of producing a custom horizon for CdC to make it easier to see when an object will be hidden by buildings, trees etc.

The CdC help references Stellarium help but the internet link is broken and I don't have it installed and would prefer not to install it just to read some help.

Has anyone done this? If so how did you go about doing it? I was going to take a panoramic image with my iPhone as a starting point but I'm not sure if the image projection will be correct or not and if I will need to manipulate the image in anyway as well as change the sky colour.

Thanks in advance
James

27 minutes ago, Ruud said:

I found this: http://stellarium.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Customising_Landscapes

and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flwllEQTfVw

which may help you.

None of us have Stellarrium installed just to read the help. We have it because it is a marvelous planetarium program! 

Thank you for those links, I'm sure Stellarium is a great application and know a lot a people use it, however I personally prefer CdC.

Are there any CdC specific instructions? I've tried a web search and came up with nothing.

James

I have now had a go at preparing my own custom horizon with Carte du Ciel.

It's really very simple. Just align the scope and slew to various points on your horizon and note down the Azimuth and Altitude of that spot. Then save it all as a text file and load it in CdC. Here's my result.

Pretty obscured really, by my house to the north and neighbouring trees everywhere else!

Southern horizon:

41188898562_c345fcb3e9_o.jpg

Northern horizon:

41188901732_e0cdd7b095_o.jpg

The text file looks like this. Azimuth on the left, altitude on the right. Simples!

41233911691_a946fefbcb_b.jpg

Archived