SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dirty eyes?

Had another brief moon-watching session last night, but encountered an odd issue.  As I looked into the eyepiece, I was finding that, in the brightness, I could "see" detriment, dust, or fluff obscuring the views a little.  If I moved my eyes around, then the offending stuff could then be seen sort of sloshing, and sliding around.  It quickly became apparent, that this detritus was actually swimming about on the surface of my eyes.    I'm going to have to give my eyes a good rinse in some optical fluid before the next session...  Is this a common thing?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure if it is a surface issue. I have one or two "floaters" in my eyes. These are impurities in the vitreous body in the eye, as I gather, that show up in particular when the exit pupil is small. I would think objects on the surface of the eye would be so out of focus they would only result in a loss of contrast, not as distinct objects

Not sure if I should seek a doctors advice, as they were very intrusive yesterday.  Almost like tangled up hair, the one floater was enough to obscure craters.  I'm thinking they could really be a problem when I'm peering into eyepieces.

Yes, I've always had them but didn't know what they were until I joined this forum. Now I see them every time I see something bright. As Michael above says- you see them more as the exit pupil gets smaller so if they bother you, just use less magnification.

4 minutes ago, Ande said:

Not sure if I should seek a doctors advice, as they were very intrusive yesterday.  Almost like tangled up hair, the one floater was enough to obscure craters.  I'm thinking they could really be a problem when I'm peering into eyepieces.

Doctors can do nothing to remove/alleviate floaters in the eye, as far as I’m aware.

I've tried the rolling my eyes around trick, and it moves the floaters away from the central area for a moment or two, but then they seem to slide back to where they were again.  I guess it's slightly reassuring to know that it's a common issue.  A bit of a nuisance though :(

1 minute ago, Floater said:

Doctors can do nothing to remove/alleviate floaters in the eye, as far as I’m aware.

Thanks.  I've just been googling in the background, and you're right.  Nowt can be done.  Guess it's just another part of me that's gone "Up the Swanee", in the last few years ;)

16 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I am not sure if it is a surface issue. I have one or two "floaters" in my eyes. These are impurities in the vitreous body in the eye, as I gather, that show up in particular when the exit pupil is small. I would think objects on the surface of the eye would be so out of focus they would only result in a loss of contrast, not as distinct objects

So, because I was looking at a fairly bright moon, this would have made my pupils small.  Would using fairly aggressive filters when viewing bright objects be beneficial then?  The few (hardly any) stars that I've managed to observe in the last week or so, have not induced the floater problem, which would very much be consistent with your theory, what with the scene being much darker.

1 minute ago, Ande said:

So, because I was looking at a fairly bright moon, this would have made my pupils small.  Would using fairly aggressive filters when viewing bright objects be beneficial then?  The few (hardly any) stars that I've managed to observe in the last week or so, have not induced the floater problem, which would very much be consistent with your theory, what with the scene being much darker.

It is mainly the exit pupil of the scope: aperture divided by magnification. At low magnification your pupil might contract a bit, so using a filter may help, but avoiding very high magnification is generally best

I developed large floaters in both eyes about 5 years ago. I'd had small floaters for as long as I can remember which were a slight nuisance but the large ones made reading, and working on the computer difficult and tiring. I tried laser vitreolysis treatment which is meant to vapourise the floaters using a laser, but after half a dozen sessions there was little improvement. I had to resort to the only procedure that will remove floaters which is a vitrectomy, where the jelly like fluid inside the eye is sucked out and replaced with saline solution under local anaesthetic. I had both eyes done (six months apart) and have complete floater free vision now which is great. You have to pay to have it done privately, about £5000 an eye but for me it was worth it to have clear vision again.

Alan

I started having floaters in my right eye about a year ago. The sudden appearance of a 'spider web' was quite disconcerting! I kept trying to brush it away as it appeared to be in front of me! Anyway, I went to my optician who gave me a thorough eye test. It was pointed out that I also had cataracts - worse in one eye. I've long had trouble seeing things in the shadow and struggle with glare. At the beginning of February I had a flurry of new floaters in my left eye. I suppose it's downhill all the way now :(

Louise

3 minutes ago, Floater said:

As mentioned above, Louise, binoviewers can help.

Both of my eyes are affected but I only do imaging (and only occasionally these days!). However, eye problems intrude on my daily life. All part of growing old, I suppose...

Louise

Archived