Narrowband

Binoviewer Moon

pbyrne

Hello all. Following on from my earlier post on this thread.  Had a rather nice session with my C9.25 and my Celestron 45 deg BV's. 

When I finished I headed for a snooze due to work which explains my delayed update.

Anyhow. I firstly, rather luckily noticed Venus had not departed behind a neighbours house. Nice clear view of the planet. Pity Mercury had done a runner behind said house. 

Moved on to the Moon.  Nice conditions and played around with the Televue zooms I use with the BV's quite regularly. 

Was taking some high powers with no difficulties.  Very little atmospheric  "shimmer" to be had. 

Focused on the Appennies. Alpine valley. Straight wall and Plato plus just running up and down the terminator and catching the shadows. 

No sign of the central,rille in the A valley.  Plato was a sight with the shadow from the crater wall looking like a very poor set of teeth across the crater floor. 

Highlight was the Straight wall. A black "slash" on the landscape with the small "mountain" at the top (SCT VIEW) 

Reminds me of a deflated balloon and the wall is the string attached to it.  Apologies for the poetic licence. 

Regards. John 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Moonshane said:

I was looking for the rille last night and failed again with the 120 Equinox. Maybe one day! I suspect the phase needs to be just right.

I saw it as a broken indistinct bright line, but it didn't extend along the whole length of the valley last night. The seeing wasn't top notch last night from my site, which isn't too far from you Shane. Last month though I had the best view I've ever had of the central rille. Even paulastro phoned me while I was at the telescope to ask if I could see the rille, as he was seeing it too. At the time I was using a pair of 15mm LV's in my binoviewer and a 2X barlow, and the rille, although broken, ran almost the entire length of the valley. A sharp scope like your 120ED will definitely show it, so its probably the seeing that's holding it back. I didnt see the slightest hint of it tonight as the seeing is pretty wobbly here. Though i did see three fine clefts inside the crater Werner to the east and slightly north of Tycho, which is worth checking out if you've time. Then to the west of Tycho and a similar latitude to Werner is a fabulous crater called Worzelbauer. It has a smiling face like that of Wallace beaming back at you. ?

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

I saw it as a broken indistinct bright line, but it didn't extend along the whole length of the valley last night. The seeing wasn't top notch last night from my site, which isn't too far from you Shane. Last month though I had the best view I've ever had of the central rille. Even paulastro phoned me while I was at the telescope to ask if I could see the rille, as he was seeing it too. At the time I was using a pair of 15mm LV's in my binoviewer and a 2X barlow, and the rille, although broken, ran almost the entire length of the valley. A sharp scope like your 120ED will definitely show it, so its probably the seeing that's holding it back. I didnt see the slightest hint of it tonight as the seeing is pretty wobbly here. Though i did see three fine clefts inside the crater Werner to the east and slightly north of Tycho, which is worth checking out if you've time. Then to the west of Tycho and a similar latitude to Werner is a fabulous crater called Worzelbauer. It has a smiling face like that of Wallace beaming back at you. ?

That sounds very similar to views I’ve had in the Tak Mike, a bright line, broken in places running down the valley.

15 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I suspect it's one of those features you need to make sense of and then it's easier each time after that.

I’m sure that’s right Shane. Have you managed it in your newts at all?

For some reason I had always been looking for a dark line before, so was highly doubtful when I saw the bright line clearly in two places which turned out to be the rille!

20 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

I had a short session early evening yesterday with the 16" SCT, before shutting down, on a whim, I popped my Denk binoviewer in with a pair of WO 20mm eyepieces. Although I should know better by now I was astonished by the difference in the view, it was like the difference between real life and just a picture, amazing contrast and 3D effect. @ MikeDnight, couldn't see the Alpine Valley central rille, I really must get one of these small Taks as an extra finder.  :grin:  

Told you so, told you so, told you so......etc etc.   You really should use your binoviewer more often Peter.  :smile:

16 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Had another quick look this evening but due, probably, to the sunshine today, the seeing from the dome was awful, hard enough to see the Alpine Valley, never mind the central rille !    :eek:

See! Binoviewers can even make that 16" Me he he eade give a reasonable view, so they must be good! :grin::grin::grin:

4 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

See! Binoviewers can even make that 16" Me he he eade give a reasonable view, so they must be good! :grin::grin::grin:

At least it gives a view of globular clusters that a 4" Tak can only dream of.   :evil4::grin:

8 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

At least it gives a view of globular clusters that a 4" Tak can only dream of.   :evil4::grin:

Yeah, but I can always come and look through yours if I get the urge to go globularizing! :grin:  Having said that, the little Tak does a pretty good job of M13 & M92. :icon_cyclops_ani:

1 minute ago, mikeDnight said:

Yeah, but I can always come and look through yours if I get the urge to go globularizing! :grin:  Having said that, the little Tak does a pretty good job of M13 & M92. :icon_cyclops_ani:

Subs are due.    :grin:

On 25-3-2018 at 11:42, pbyrne said:

There is so much that binoviewing has to offer, the 3-D effect is stunning, more details are visible,

Great report......but now I want a binoviewer too!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2018 at 10:42, pbyrne said:

Hi all

With the first quarter moon calling, I got out the 127mm Mak and set out for an observing session.  I am completing the Astronomy League's Lunar II list and when I had ticked out my targets I got out the William Optics binoviewers and set out on part two of the evenings observations.  I am a new convert to binoviewing and let me start off by saying, I will never go back to mono viewing again.  There is so much that binoviewing has to offer, the 3-D effect is stunning, more details are visible, smaller features come into view and when using two eyes there is no eyestrain or tiredness.  There is a terrific sense of flying over the lunar surface and when viewing the terminator, I get the sensation of looking straight down on the craters and plains.  The highlight for me was when I was looking down, it really does fell like that, on the crater Alphonsus, the central peak facing the rising sun was a brilliant white, the shadow of the peak was a long needle of black that ran across the floor to pierce the western wall, magical.

I believe that the greatest asset of the binoviewers is the sense of relaxation, you just put your eyes to the eyepieces and let the view wash over you.  Because I am using both eyes, we are designed to use both eyes, the view is immersive and it is so easy to get lost.

I cannot recommend binoviewing enough, the moon will never look the same.  I have to try them on the planets next.

Paul

A dangerous post - this should be accompanied by a wallet warning. :) 

Depends.

I've not purchased any eyepieces for 4 years. Yes its easy to spend 100s but you don't necessarily need to.

Once you have 2 or 3 sets  of lenses you are pretty much there, particularly if you go down a 'Powerswitch' type route.

The 16.8mm Abbe Orthos mentioned earlier pricked my ears up though.......

Archived