Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Virtualhere and a Raspberry Pi3-B+

Adreneline

Hi Everyone,

With March about to pass without a single image being taken my mind has turned to wire reduction and being able to move the OTA and mount further away from the house tethered only by a network cable and mains supply. Because I have a Raspberry Pi3 Model B+ to hand I thought I would try Virtualhere - just to see how far I can get to realising my goal without too much extra spend.

The Virtual Client installed fine on the NUC and I have been able to install the basic usb-server (vhusbdarm) code on the Pi3B+; you can install the specific usb-server code without a licence although when I tried I got an illegal instruction command from the Pi. Nevertheless I persevered with the basic usb-server, connected successfully to the NUC and could see the Atik428ex connected to the Pi. I was all the more encouraged to see that Artemis could also see and use the camera. The resulting image was not so encouraging and I wonder if anyone can tell me the likely cause of the banding on the image. This is a 0.2s exposure using an L filter. The pylon is not that black but the sky colur is pretty accurate!

Capture_404.thumb.jpg.59b119d085cfde89ed1faedc9e54a79a.jpg

I did not go so far as to try the mount connection (NEQ6) or guide camera (ASI120MM-S).

Thanks in anticipation of any help.

Adrian

I use VH wirelessly for my DSLR Canon 100d and it works to a degree. The problem is that the download speed is very slow and software (in my case APT) starts to give funnies - e.g. not displaying the image even though its be taken and is shown on my PC. Reason I am saying this is that I am surprised that VH + RPI3 + Wireless (assuming you are doing wireless ("wire reduction")  + Atik428ex + Software ?????(you dont say or I missed it) is working as the frame rate, I assume , would be very very slow.  Could you try a smaller ROI  and a lower resolution and see if that improves. Also try the "wired" port on the RPI3+ instead of wireless and see if that makes any difference.

As I say VH works but the slow wireless speed (dont forget the USB port is shared with the RPI's - although the newer RPI3+ is supposed to better!).

Also I think I am right that you cannot use CPU optimized builds of VirtualHere USB Server for Maximum Performance  for the RPI3 Arm CPU without a full license - might be wrong check web site.

11 minutes ago, stash_old said:

assuming you are doing wireless ("wire reduction")  + Atik428ex + Software ?????(you dont say or I missed it

Thank you for your response. I was using a fully wired connection - no wifi - and I was just using Artemis software on the NUC to capture the image.

I will give the smaller ROI a try and try binning to see if it helps. I had hoped the new Pi3B+ might be fast enough. You are correct that the optimized builds can only be used under licence. The point I was trying to make was that when I attempted to install the optimised Pi3 software on the Pi it resulted in an error message, as it also did with the Pi2 optimised software. The Pi optimised installed without error but then the client software pops up and says no licence - no run!

I am certainly not going to buy a licence if there is any chance it might not work so it's looking like I may be approaching the end of this road.

Adrian

12 hours ago, stash_old said:

Also I think I am right that you cannot use CPU optimized builds of VirtualHere USB Server for Maximum Performance  for the RPI3 Arm CPU without a full license

Just a footnote: I emailed the VH developer saying I had experienced problems loading the optimised software onto a Pi3, giving full details of what I had done and what I wanted to use the application for, i.e. astrophotography. The response I got was "just use the the ARM build not the pi3, I haven't tested with a pi3+ yet". That was the full extent of the reply - so I won't be purchasing any time soon! Not sure why they would be offering software for sale that is untested - no wonder people have problems.

A sad reflection of the age in which we live I suppose :(

40 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

I haven't tested with a pi3+ yet"

Give the guy a chance the RPI3+ only came out officially last week - Michael is very good at doing changes and quickly ! 

42 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

A sad reflection of the age in which we live I suppose

Agree everybody wants it yesterday :icon_biggrin:

12 hours ago, Adreneline said:

optimised Pi3 software on the Pi it resulted in an error

Yes that works on the PI3 (i use that and had no problems with server or client - except client doesn't work on Vista - yes I sill use some things on Vista :laugh2: The RPI3+ is not the same beast  - sorry but in IT software development it isn't  as simple as copying the software to the next updated hardware - testing takes time.

As I say I wouldn't have expected the CCD to work at all (at speed) and even the "wired" connection shares the USB ports bus so there is a conflict. It maybe harsh but £35 dev board and a £1000+ camera slight imbalance IMHO  :hiding: - but hell worth a try.   Nothing lost in trying !

Maybe you could look into Indi they have had some success with CCD's (if they support your camera)  and some on SGL use it!

Perhaps someone else on SGL will come up with a solution for you - clear skies

Hi Adrian

Linux and Indi/KStars/Ekos is a very good combination and works well.

You can give it a try by installing Ekos VM

http://www.indilib.org/about/news/171-ekos-vm-1-6-released.html

This will give a chance to give INDI/Ekos a try without being fully committed.

If you have a windows PC that you are willing to install Ubuntu Mate on it is relatively easy to get up and running.

http://indilib.org/support/tutorials/169-ekos-on-raspberry-pi-complete-guide.html

This tutorial guides you through the Pi software installation.

One of the best ways to setup a Pi is to use this script

https://github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3

If there are INDI Drivers available for all your kit you may fine it does just what you need.

If you need any help mail me

Graham

Archived