SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Getting back into things

Yamez

Hi all, It's been a a while since i've been out with my scope and am wanting to. The trouble I'm having is I keep observing the same things nearly every night. I live in a small town with a fair amount of light pollution and I use a Skywatcher explorer 130P. Can I ask you to give me a list of things to try and observer from my garden. It can be anything from planets, double stars, clusters, nebulas etc. Thanks a lot :biggrin:

Unless we get out to a darker site with a decent view all around, then there's not much we can do about our present situation when it comes to looking at the  same objects?

I know, I'm in the same situation.

I have a very limited view of the night sky from my garden, and local street lighting to contend with, however I do have access to Cassiopeia and Ursa Major and just about anything in-between.  

Globular's are beginning to gain in prominence, such as M13, M92, M3, M5, M53, moonlight might currently be an issue, unless you can extend to early morning as the moon is setting. As stated, garden observing for many in the circumstance as you describe can have parameters, having options i.e. occasional dark sky observing can generate a life time of observation possibilities and everything is of course so much brighter.    

4 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

As well as the planets and the Moon, have you thought of double stars? These are colourful, immune to LP and can be a challenge if that's what you are looking for!?

Chris

I have looked at a few double stars, my favourite being Albireo. The trouble is I never know what double stars to look at, what's easy what's hard etc. Have you a list of some easy to tough ones for me to try out?

19 minutes ago, Yamez said:

I have looked at a few double stars, my favourite being Albireo. The trouble is I never know what double stars to look at, what's easy what's hard etc. Have you a list of some easy to tough ones for me to try out?

This is a good starter list, but there are large numbers of lists elsewhere and some excellent books, eg the one by Sissy Haas for small telescopes.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/celestial-objects-to-watch/pretty-double-stars-for-everyone/

Plus some challenges:-

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/pushing-limits-a-spring-sky-double-star-romp/

Chris

Heres a Nice list of double stars: Top 200 most beautiful double stars

Open clusters:

- Melotte 111, Coma star cluster, is a Nice Collection of stars spread over 7 degrees, best in binoculars, but I do find this area quite beautiful in my 130 Heritage also.

- IC 4665 the summer beehive is also very Nice open cluster, well Worth a look

Rune

Archived