SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

1st Attempt at Deep Sky Imaging - Need Help Please

I am starting to process the Rosette Nebula, that I just shot this weekend. My first attempt at Deep Sky photography. I am attaching a jpeg version of the autosave file DSS generated after stacking. I corrected the levels just to the point that there is no clipping and I brought up the exposure a lot in Curves. I did not go any further because of these lines in the photo and the blurry stars on the right. My original lights do not have the curved lines. They also are not blurry on the right side as this image is. I am thinking that I messed up on my flats.  When I went out at 3:00 am my camera and lens were actually pointing down since the nebula had set. I straightened the camera to shoot my flats, forgetting that I needed to shoot in the same orientation. I may not have been in the same orientation. I will process in Deep Sky Stacker again w/o the flats to see if that is the source. Any suggestions? This is my first ever attempt at this type of subject. I have been shooting the Milky Way and other landscape astrophotography stuff but really want to shoot the Deep Sky objects. Modified full spectrum Canon 5d MK iii, Canon 300mm f4, Sky Watcher Sky Adventurer, ISO 1600, 1 min  128 lights, 20 darks, 28 flats, 23 biases  Thank you  IMG_1994.thumb.JPG.cfb7b80e506f51b9d2440f8b5a748eb5.JPG

The image is typical of a bad setting in the DSS alignment setup pages, the stacking algorithm has become confused over what is a star to align on and what isn't.

Which version of DSS are you using? The latest is 3.3.4, if you are using the older version 3.3.2 I would download the newer release and try stacking again, you will need to adjust the hot pixel detection threshold on the cosmetic tab and in the alignment tab choose 'Bilinear' rather than Automatic, hopefully those two settings will fix the problem.

You can find the link to the 3.3.4 version of DSS under the heading 'Latest DSLR support' on the downloads page by clicking on the embedded link in the sentence 'or directly here', eleven lines down the page.

http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html

Archived