SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wooden Observing Chair - UK Source Required

DeepSkyMan

Hi there, I've been searching for a supplier or manufacturer of wooden observing chairs in the UK, with very little success (plenty over the pond).  Do any SGLrs know of a source for these in the UK?  I've looked at the Geoptik offeirng 'Nadira', but not sure of the build quality.  In addition the base looks too narrow to me, also, being a short a##rse, the lack of foot rests in the design is a negative for me :-)

Looking for something akin to this:

Kind Regards

Paul J.

When I did a Google search, I bought my wooden observing chair from Rother Valley Optics...

And another just now shows they’re still stocking it:

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/geoptik-nadira-astronomy-observing-chair.html

And it’s perfectly stable and exceptionally well made. And that’s under  my 95kg load... 

And if you’re that short to need a foot rest it would be easy enough to fabricate one akin to the adjustable seat design. 

But my 5 ft 4” wife doesn’t feel the need for one...

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

I'm just about to embark on making my own from 25mm plywood as per sketch below.  I've got enough material to make two so if you want one made up let me know. Cost of materials about £30ish

Craig

Observing chair sketch.JPG

Thanks for the offer Craig, but I think I’ll hold off for now.  Let me know how your little project goes?

• 1 month later...

Finally got a couple of other projects out he way and this morning knocked up a prototype to check dimensions. All made out of 18mm birch ply that ive had in the garage for a while. It works quite well in the 18mm ply so I'm gonna stick with that and make a mk2 with padded seat, adjustable rear leg and footrest. 

20180429_131140.jpg

20180429_131150.jpg

Archived