Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_close-ups_winners.thumb.jpg.b5fb18580607a749e382266fe55a02a1.jpg

FLO

Skywatcher Skyliner 300P FlexTube GOTO

See its gone now ;)

Great scope. I have one myself, easy to move round on platform with 4 casters. Will substitute these with rubber wheeled ones for smoother running over the terrace flagstones.

• Like 1

If travel over ground could be sorted I would have a 16 but no Goto. Put mount in a small trailer & OTA in the back of my car. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/10/2018 at 20:21, tooth_dr said:

I have a 12" SW solid OTA, the one I have is on an aluminium dob base, is an awkward enough thing.  I've hardly used it as it just a PITA to take in and out the front door.  The 10" SW solid OTA (on an EQ mount) I have is considerably lighter and smaller.  In fact I'm just finishing off converting my 10" to be used as a dob as I am 100% certain I will actually use it due to ease of handling.  Nothing will put you off observing more than if it's too much hassle to get the kit out.

I could not have put it better myself.  Easy to get caught up in the excitement of big apertures  - until you see the size of the darned things.  They get exponentially more difficult to manage and handle.  And I say that as a 6'2" man who trains with weights  ('m on a 150kg bench press for ten reps ;) ).  These big dobs get difficult to handle if you have to carry them around.  If you can roll them out on wheels on the flat then it's not so bad.  But as soon as you have to break them into their two component parts and man handle them they rapidly become a PITA in the larger sizes.

Edited by kirkster501

On 2 May 2018 at 13:59, kirkster501 said:

I could not have put it better myself.  Easy to get caught up in the excitement of big apertures  - until you see the size of the darned things.  They get exponentially more difficult to manage and handle.  And I say that as a 6'2" man who trains with weights  ('m on a 150kg bench press for ten reps ;) ).  These big dobs get difficult to handle if you have to carry them around.  If you can roll them out on wheels on the flat then it's not so bad.  But as soon as you have to break them into their two component parts and man handle them they rapidly become a PITA in the larger sizes.

Be careful not to upset you then!

My solid tube 12 is the limit. Bought for nostalgia as much as want. I agree a 10 is more manageable, having a Bresser Messier. 

Diameter & length of tube more than weight is the carrying issue for me. Need to see over the top or round the side going up & down steps. 

A FlexTube is the answer to height, so maybe I should have bought the 12 *shrugs*