Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_smartphones_winners.thumb.jpg.6fc1a7dac49e98c98ae01ba1f8cb4c0e.jpg

FLO

Skywatcher Skyliner 300P FlexTube GOTO

FLO    4,393

One Skywatcher Skyliner 300P FlexTube GOTO.

Customer Return

The mount was damaged in transit but has now been repaired. Working beautifully and scope itself is in pristine condition. There is a small ding on the woodwork in one part of the mount which has been repaired and sealed otherwise, it looks superb!

Collection only as we don't have the original packaging. We have been using this for outreach so it's currently with Grant in Bedfordshire so can be collected either from Bedfordshire or Exeter with prior arrangement. If you are close to either location we may be able to delivery in person but please get in touch first to discuss.

Full manufacturers warranty.

£1,399.00 £1,259.00  (saving £140.00)

skywatcher_skyliner_300p_flextube_goto.jpg

25585    811
On 23/03/2018 at 13:15, FLO said:

One Skywatcher Skyliner 300P FlexTube GOTO.

Customer Return

The mount was damaged in transit but has now been repaired. Working beautifully and scope itself is in pristine condition. There is a small ding on the woodwork in one part of the mount which has been repaired and sealed otherwise, it looks superb!

Collection only as we don't have the original packaging. We have been using this for outreach so it's currently with Grant in Bedfordshire so can be collected either from Bedfordshire or Exeter with prior arrangement. If you are close to either location we may be able to delivery in person but please get in touch first to discuss.

Full manufacturers warranty.

£1,399.00 £1,259.00  (saving £140.00)

skywatcher_skyliner_300p_flextube_goto.jpg

I am tempted. Even more if price goes down to £1200....

TSRobot    91

OOh OO UK might be a lot lighter, but bigger £££££ though may not come with clouds :happy7:

25585    811
Posted (edited)

Honestly not sure if the weight of a 12 inch GOTO, collimation etc would get me using it much. The OO 10 inch is most likely, & at F6 would be ideal. A 12 SW solid tube OTA would be cheaper, so too is a consideration. 

Both have waiting times according to OO & FLO respectively. 

Edited by 25585

tooth_dr    1,554
2 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Honestly not sure if the weight of a 12 inch GOTO, collimation etc would get me using it much.  A 12 SW solid tube OTA would be cheaper, so too is a consideration. 

I have a 12" SW solid OTA, the one I have is on an aluminium dob base, is an awkward enough thing.  I've hardly used it as it just a PITA to take in and out the front door.  The 10" SW solid OTA (on an EQ mount) I have is considerably lighter and smaller.  In fact I'm just finishing off converting my 10" to be used as a dob as I am 100% certain I will actually use it due to ease of handling.  Nothing will put you off observing more than if it's too much hassle to get the kit out.

• Like 1

25585    811
1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

I have a 12" SW solid OTA, the one I have is on an aluminium dob base, is an awkward enough thing.  I've hardly used it as it just a PITA to take in and out the front door.  The 10" SW solid OTA (on an EQ mount) I have is considerably lighter and smaller.  In fact I'm just finishing off converting my 10" to be used as a dob as I am 100% certain I will actually use it due to ease of handling.  Nothing will put you off observing more than if it's too much hassle to get the kit out.

And move it around the garden. OO in pole position. They also only want a deposit initially, not the whole wad. 

tooth_dr    1,554
11 minutes ago, 25585 said:

And move it around the garden. OO in pole position. They also only want a deposit initially, not the whole wad. 

See the size difference in a 12” versus 10” SW solid tube —>

D1519B31-37BD-46E5-A331-45C1B91FBD0B.jpeg

FLO    4,393
15 hours ago, 25585 said:

Both have waiting times according to OO & FLO respectively. 

There is no waiting time for the 300p DS OTA :smile: 

• Thanks 1

25585    811
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, FLO said:

There is no waiting time for the 300p DS OTA :smile: 

Winnah! :headbang:

Paid & email to you @FLO

Edited by 25585

25585    811
15 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

See the size difference in a 12” versus 10” SW solid tube —>

D1519B31-37BD-46E5-A331-45C1B91FBD0B.jpeg

Now I have the 12 SW it will fit onto my Dark Star dob mount, also for a 12 inch of same FL. 

I'm so excited! :hello2: :director2:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

25585    811

12 inch here in my garage waiting for next dry spell to unbox & assemble. Last 2 days had my brother visit so put on hold. Now it's raining again. 

• Like 3

Grant    1,233

I can't believe this still hasn't sold - £881 is the current price which is an absolute bargain!

Whilst I am happy for it to stay in my garage (so I can play with use it) - somebody is going to get a cracking deal... very tempted myself. :)

• Like 1

25585    811
2 hours ago, Grant said:

I can't believe this still hasn't sold - £881 is the current price which is an absolute bargain!

Whilst I am happy for it to stay in my garage (so I can play with use it) - somebody is going to get a cracking deal... very tempted myself. :)

Because GOTO adds weight & also it's a Flextube, I chose the solid tube OTA. Had latter been on the mount, I would have bought it. 

There was also buyer collect only option which was a disincentive. If you can arrange standard delivery, & package the scope for transit, it might sell. 

Grant    1,233

Have you ever used the flextube version?

If not then the strength and rigidity will surprise you, it holds collimation well and is a delight to use.

I would only ever choose the Flextube unless I had no intentions of ever moving it / taking it anywhere.

The Goto doesn’t add that much weight compared to non-Goto - they are both heavy but for me Goto is a must to make the most of the little clear skies we have.

• Like 2

mert    176

What a steal. One of the best scopes I have owned. 

25585    811
On 20 April 2018 at 08:47, Grant said:

Have you ever used the flextube version?

If not then the strength and rigidity will surprise you, it holds collimation well and is a delight to use.

I would only ever choose the Flextube unless I had no intentions of ever moving it / taking it anywhere.

The Goto doesn’t add that much weight compared to non-Goto - they are both heavy but for me Goto is a must to make the most of the little clear skies we have.

Should I want to upsize, then a Flextube would be my choice definitely. I really need to see & handle one (any size) first though rather than buying on spec & reviews. 

If large Goto Dobsonian mounts were sold on their own, I would definitely be interested. 

mert    176

I could handle the 12” on my own. 

The 16”  is a monster in comparison.

Edited by mert

25585    811
6 minutes ago, mert said:

I could handle the 12” on my own. 

The 16”  is a monster in comparison.

12" is my handling limit. For a 16" I would need mechanical aid or block & tackle etc. 

Apart from weight, size dimensions collapsed, width of mount base particuarly would be crucial to know in advance. 

In star party photos, large dob's are seen next to large vans or other suitably sized people or cargo transport vehicles. 

The 12 inch SW OTA just fits in my car front to back, & is manageable. Separately beside it's vertical base. 

For a Flextube I guess a 12 inch would be shorter with the OTA collapsed, but not that much. 

I agree with Grant in theory about Goto giving more opportunity once up & running, however setting up etc, checking collimation once the OTA is extended etc takes time away from looking at & for what can be seen which a solid tube OTA just setting on the stand & looking around gives more sky time. 

JOC    2,165

Just not fair is it?  That's just about the price I paid for a brand new 8" goto SW Dob from Flo 2 years ago.  Having owned a Flex Tube and seen nothing but convenience I'd never consider owning a solid tube myself.

FLO    4,393
On 21/04/2018 at 12:48, 25585 said:

I agree with Grant in theory about Goto giving more opportunity once up & running, however setting up etc, checking collimation once the OTA is extended etc takes time away from looking at & for what can be seen which a solid tube OTA just setting on the stand & looking around gives more sky time. 

It isn't theory. He is speaking from experience. You should try one some day :smile: 

Steve 

25585    811
1 minute ago, FLO said:

It isn't theory. He is speaking from experience. You should try one some day :smile: 

Steve 

I would like to Steve. Would an EQ5 GOTO be stable enough for my 120 Equinox? Rather have an HEQ5 but outside my budget.

FLO    4,393
10 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Would an EQ5 GOTO be stable enough for my 120 Equinox? Rather have an HEQ5 but outside my budget.

For visual it would be okay, nothing would bend or break, but it would be happier on a HEQ5. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 1

Tim    3,040
On 19/04/2018 at 15:16, Grant said:

I'd snap this up if I didn't have three dobs already, the GOTO is very accurate and takes the guesswork out of the equation if skies are less than perfect.

Actually, I think I might know just the guy, i'll tell him

• Like 1