Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_the_milky_way_winners.thumb.jpg.0a840852a676f881f4a849dd8099085d.jpg

FLO

NEW Sky-Watcher Evostar 150ED PRO

Hello. I currently have a Moonlite on my current frac. 

Presume just a case of purchasing the correct 3 screw adapter and your sorted. 

Any word on a price yet guys. 

Thank you. John 

Yes, in theory you need only order a new mounting flange and your good to go.

Please email us, we’ll then check and respond with a price and ETA when we reopen Monday. 

HTH, 

Steve 

7 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Any word on a price yet guys. 

Did you mean the telescope? It’s price & ETA hasn’t been confirmed but we are expecting an update very soon. 

1 hour ago, FLO said:

Did you mean the telescope? It’s price & ETA hasn’t been confirmed but we are expecting an update very soon. 

Hi guys. Yes I did mean the scope, thank you. 

Prompt reply as always 

John 

HehHehHeh!!   We'll be holding Beauty Competitions for Scopes, I can see it
coming.  Instead of looking at the skies, we'll be looking at them on a Catwalk perhaps. Maybe at the next Astrofest.
I kind of sensed something was afoot, when I first saw the livery on the Star Adventures.:icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

"Candy" my Tak is well ahead with her Primaluce red adornments er.. hardware. 

53 minutes ago, 25585 said:

"Candy" my Tak is well ahead with her Primaluce red adornments er.. hardware. 

That depends on how many of those red rings you actually end up using  on the Tak :happy7:

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2018 at 14:07, FLO said:

It’s price & ETA hasn’t been confirmed but we are expecting an update very soon. 

Unfortunately we still don't have an update 😳 

Our best guess (not official Sky-Watcher info) is it will arrive in the UK soon but will be in very short supply. We suspect it might be several months before it is readily available. 

We are still predicting it's price will be around £1,750. 

Regarding pre-orders. We are wary of accepting pre-order deposits before we have reliable price and availability info, but when we do we will make that option available. Promise 🙂 

HTH, 

Steve 

Any idea what the price of the optional Losmandy plate and rings might be if sold separately?

Very swish and might find their way onto my Evo 150 :smile:

181399304_ScreenShot2018-07-11at17_24_02.png.713baf062010e65a3b462e55d7a8f10b.png

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DRT said:

Any idea what the price of the optional Losmandy plate and rings might be if sold separately?

Very swish and might find their way onto my Evo 150 :smile:

181399304_ScreenShot2018-07-11at17_24_02.png.713baf062010e65a3b462e55d7a8f10b.png

Shocking they are not offered as an OE option to the UK.  Or at least an OTA version on its own for a reduced price so people can choose not to pay for the SW standard stuff.

For any frac over 100mm, a ring needs to be attached to a bar the width of its base with (what I hope SW use) 2 bolts. 

Edited by 25585
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Shocking they are not offered as an OE option to the UK.  Or at least an OTA version on its own for a reduced price so people can choose not to pay for the SW standard stuff.

For any frac over 100mm, a ring needs to be attached to a bar the width of its base with (what I hope SW use) 2 bolts. 

No offer has yet been made. My understanding is that the CNC rings and Losmandy dovetail will be offered as an upgrade option, which is to be applauded.

Perhaps wait for an actual release before criticising based on a wild guess?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 25585 said:

..For any frac over 100mm, a ring needs to be attached to a bar the width of its base with (what I hope SW use) 2 bolts. 

Sorry, I don't agree. My ED120 is very stable on a standard Skywatcher/Vixen width CNC dovetail bar and my 130mm TMB/LZOS (around the same weight and size as the Skywatcher ED150) is happy with something similar. I've owned a number of 6" F/8 refractors with similar mounting arrangements and they have also been stable.

I'm trying to respond helpfully to some of your posts Richard but this "shooting from the hip" approach does you no favours :sad:

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I wanted to type something in response to @John's post that would make @25585 appreciate the point being made but I can't think of any words that won't result in another huff.

Please just stop putting a negative slant on everything that anyone posts. It's boring.

Edited by DRT
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, 25585 said:

That’s just simply not true.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, 25585 said:

Whist this is not a hard and fast rule it is definitely my personal preference - even though it adds a bit more weight !!

Edited by dweller25

18 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Whist this is not a hard and fast rule it is definitely my personal preference - even though it adds a bit more weight !!

Isn’t that the point though, it’s not a hard and fast rule? A lot depends upon the quality of the components used eg an ADM dovetail vs a less solid standard SW ones.

In addition, a 150 f8 is quite a different proposition from say a 120 f5 so to generalise everything over 100mm is just plain wrong in my book and will lead to people thinking they have to spend more than is necessary. More solid hardware can improve stability and reduce flexure and vibration, I accept that, but there are choices people can make based upside n budget.

I have no issues with people wanting to adopt a belt and braces approach, it is the ‘needs to be’ part I disagree with.

I used to have a 150 f8 Helios scope on standard rings and a basic SW Vixen Dovetail. I had no problems with it at all.

I suspect two bolts would be enough (http://www.thomsonrail.com/Technical Resources/A short guide to metric nuts and bolts.pdf

image.thumb.png.4a3cc9a61a0cc28d80dd59dba3d2456b.png

The threaded section on the rings is more likely to fail but even this is unlikely unless abused or cross threaded in the first place.

I also choose CNC rings and chunky wide dovetail but this is for aesthetics and balancing reasons rather than strength. The most common reason I hear of scopes falling off mounts is people not ensuring the dovetail is properly seated in the mount before tightening the (often single) securing handwheel.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, 25585 said:

With my engineer's cap on I can see what you are saying, and agree that there is a point where it is probably going to be beneficial to use a Losmandy plate, but I don't think it can be solely based on OTA diameter, especially if for visual use.  

If I have a 150mm f8, and a 120mm f5, I am probably going to have a much longer dovetail bar on the 150mm f8, which means if fully loaded with imaging kit etc. I am more likely to suffer with lateral flex in the vixen dovetail than the shorter one.  In this instance I would look at a Losmandy.  

I think you need to consider the fact that the manufacturers are also engineers, and they will have done their homework and calculated the necessary fixations to enable the product to work as it is designed to.  The Celestron Omni XLT (150mm f5) has a vixen plate, so it isn't just SW who believe this will be fine.  

In this instance I suspect this product is primarily designed for visual use, and is why it is going to be supplied standard with a vixen dovetail and crayford focuser.  It will work absolutely perfectly if used this way.  I, on the other hand, am an imager (if that phrase is even possible) so would be loading this up with a lot of 'stuff' and would therefore look at the likelihood of twisting, flexing and general movement, and would probably consider a Losmandy plate based on weight of kit and subsequent likelihood of flexure, not OTA diameter.  I have a Losmandy plate on my TS80 for this precise reason.

Finally a lot depends on the quality of dovetail.  Aluminium is not just aluminium, there are many different grades and hardnesses, and even the type of coating (anodising) can make a huge difference to the hardness of the plate.  SW use pretty good quality vixen dovetails, not the best, granted, but not bad at all, and I wouldn't be concerned for one second that one on this 150mm f5 frac is going to cause me issues.

Edited by RayD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RayD said:

I think you need to consider the fact that the manufacturers are also engineers, and they will have done their homework and calculated the necessary fixations to enable the product to work as it is designed to.  

Excellent post RayD, thanks for the full explanation.  I don't agree with this quoted bit. [RANT] I had a Helios 8"F5 newt from Synta (who own both Celestron and SW) with a focuser that flopped from side to side on an EQ5 that used grease that turned into something like Evostick after a couple of years, on a box section tripod that couldn't really support the mount - without the telescope on it. And as for my AZ3 .... 😭 [/ENDRANT] Of course I blame the bean counters and not the engineers for these. 🙄 My C8 and SW Mak127 are brilliant. I guess things have moved on since then.

Edited by melsmore
Added last sentance.

Naturally, all manufacturers are working to a price which must a) attract customers in favour of competition and b) make them adequate profit which allows them to continue to trade effectively.