Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_the_milky_way_winners.thumb.jpg.0a840852a676f881f4a849dd8099085d.jpg

FLO

NEW Sky-Watcher Evostar 150ED PRO

UPDATE¬†12th July, the NEW¬†Sky-Watcher Evostar 150ED DS-Pro OTA has been released¬†ūüôā¬†

We are receiving a lot of enquiries about the new 6" Sky-Watcher Evostar 150ED PRO. 

We can confirm it does exist but we don't have a price or ETA. 

The attached mock-up photo (not ours) is said to be a close representation of what it will look like. 

Here is what we know for sure:

Focal length will be 1200/f8. 

It is a doublet with an undisclosed combination of ED and Crown glass elements. 

It will be supplied as an OTA with 28mm 2" LET eyepiece, a Di-Electric Star Diagonal, 9x50 Finderscope and the usual tube-rings, dovetail and Aluminium carry-case. 

A matching 0.85x reducer/flattener will also be released. 

We will post more info as soon as we are able. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Sky-Watcher_150ED_DS-PRO.jpg

• Like 14

I used to own a regular Evostar 150 OTA. Though an achromat it's long focal-ratio meant it was surprisingly well corrected. Chromatic aberration was rarely a distraction. This new model with ED glass looks very promising. 

Steve 

If it's priced at less than £2k it'll fly off the shelves!

Any chance it will be less than £2k??!

15 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

If it's priced at less than £2k it'll fly off the shelves!

Any chance it will be less than £2k??!

The UK distributor hasn't set a price but another Sky-Watcher distributor¬†(in Italy, I think) has at ‚ā¨1,999. ¬†

If they are right then, based on today's currency exchange-rate, it will be around £1,750. 

That is a heck of a lot of telescope for the money :biggrin:

Price to be confirmed, of course... 

• Like 5

if it comes in sub 2k it will be a winner, look forward to seeing people get this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

if it comes in sub 2k it will be a winner, look forward to seeing people get this

Proof of the pudding etc but it will indeed be interesting to see what those  that can afford to "partake" make of such an outwardly mouthwatering 'scope. Stuff of dreams?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Alfian said:

Proof of the pudding etc but it will indeed be interesting to see what those  that can afford to "partake" make of such an outwardly mouthwatering 'scope. Stuff of dreams?

49 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

That is a very exciting telescope.

The Evostar 80ED and Evostar 120ED were game-changers. I expect the same will be true of the Evostar 150ED. 

Steve 

• Like 2

f8 ED - perfect! Now where do I get the cash from...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

f8 ED - perfect! Now where do I get the cash from...

I'm guessing that for a scope like this buying it will be just the thin end of the wedge. A suitable mount and an obsy' to wrap round it would  surely be part and parcel. 

• Like 1

Do you have an idea when you may be informed of the ED element spec Ste? I'm guessing at £1750 it's going to be FPL51 or similar ?

Very exciting indeed. If this is anything like a 120ED in a erma of image quality it will be a fantastic visual scope. On my list of achievable (some day!) desirable scopes :) 

• Like 1

Will FLO be offering the Es Reid checking service on this new scope?

• Like 1

On 23/03/2018 at 12:26, FLO said:

We are receiving a lot of enquiries about the new 6" Sky-Watcher Evostar 150ED PRO. 

We can confirm it does exist but we don't have a price or ETA. 

The attached mock-up photo (not ours) is said to be a close representation of what it will look like. 

Here is what we know for sure:

Focal length will be 1200/f8. 

It is a doublet with an undisclosed combination of ED and Crown glass elements. 

It will be supplied as an OTA with 28mm 2" LET eyepiece, a Di-Electric Star Diagonal, 9x50 Finderscope and the usual tube-rings, dovetail and Aluminium carry-case. 

A matching 0.85x reducer/flattener will also be released. 

We will post more info as soon as we are able. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Sky-Watcher_150ED_DS-PRO.jpg

:glasses9:  Waaaaant

I'm hoping at f8 it might be light enough to use on a heq5 for visual use....

do we have any idea of the weight of the ota?

Posted (edited)

On the CN thread for this scope, the SW rep says

"After speaking with the factory the dew shield will remain fixed. This goes inline with the rest of our ED doublet line, it also allows us to maintain the price category we wish to keep the scope in. You will most likely be able to remove it like the other ED doublets however.

The scope tube is aluminum with a over length of the telescope is 51". Lastly, the tube weight is 18.7lbs.

Specs are subject to change without warning however. 

Regarding our Esprit and current ED line up, we have disclosed the glass types. But people get so hung up on the glass that they forget about the entire telescope. We are not going to release garbage into the market but I understand our products do not meet the requirements of some customers. For that we recommend speaking to our friends at TEC, Takahashi and Astro-Physics. "

Edit. Going through the CN thread gauntlet,

"Australian importer has received confirmation from manufacturer that the Doublet ED150 objective will have a FPL-51 element.  Stock available soon for purchase in Sydney."

So some cost saving compared to FPL-53.

More from SW US rep

"The 150ED will feature the same dual speed crayford as the rest of the doublet line. These focusers work quite well and will hold large eyepieces just fine. When I have focusers come in for adjustment I test it with a 31 Nagler for weight. Once adjusted they handle heavy loads no problem. The issue is that during shipping things can move and the focuser can loose its adjustment. Our crayford may not be a Moonlite or Feather Touch but it does its job when adjusted and tuned to the correct settings. Its not difficult to use and adjust either.

For the price this scope will retail for you can easily upgrade to your focuser of choice and still be in an affordable price range.

The scope will have a case as well.

The glass combo was changed from when this topic originally posted. The quality was not up to par and it was done away with. A new optical design was put in place and materials ordered. This of course takes time and with Chinese New Year occurring it pushed development back several weeks. This puts on into March time frame. We are pushing to get our samples to us ASAP for testing as we do not want showcase anything until we've tested it on the night sky and with a CCD. This puts us sometime in April, which depends on the arrival of the production samples.

We want to showcase this as much as everyone wants to see it but we need to wait until we actually have a sample to test. NEAF is still up in the air. It all depends on arrivial of the actual production samples. We still need to run them through field tests both visually and photographically.

We will not be providing any more information publicly until the scopes are actually ready for market. "

Edited by 25585
  • Like 2

There is something about those big refractors! It's like telescopes suppose to look like that:icon_biggrin:.

I want one!!!!

Posted (edited)

Oz ad https://www.astronomyalive.com.au/skywatcher-black-diamond-ed150-150mm-extra-dispersion-glass-refractor-telescope.html

CN post

"I have just had a conversation with the large Australian retailer (Andrews), the one that had the original webpage up at the beginning of this thread, which advised late Jan/early Feb availability of the ED150. Despite sticking by that timeframe right up to early this week, based on info he was receiving;  He has advised me that he has just heard from the Australian importer (Tasco) with the following news.

Tasco are now expecting them to ship in late April and are hoping to receive them in early May.
He was not sure where the late Jan/early Feb timeline came from as Tasco are now saying that the factory is apparently not commencing mass production until around the end of Feb.

This information lines up with what Kevin from Skywatcher USA said (from China) about them being doubtful for NEAF.

My apologies for getting people excited, but i was fed the obviously wrong information about delivery timeframes from people i trusted.  I know there are people here in Australia who have already paid for these scopes through online ordering with one retailer who expected them this week, hopefully they can get credited back until the scopes actually show up. The last conversation with the factory on weight put the scope at 24lbs. Somethings have changed and we’ll know more when our test sample arrives.

"

Edited by 25585

May well be very similar in performance to the APM 152 ED doublet.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

May well be very similar in performance to the APM 152 ED doublet.

CN speculation is same optix but SW tube etc. The SW US rep posted

"We are also not trying to match the APM model. The APM is an excellent telescope with very nice features but we have never stated we are trying to match it one for one as far as mechanics. Our ED doublets have offered an affordable taste of the apo world for everyone to enjoy, the ED150 is simply an extension of that. "

Edited by 25585

6kg could be a mistake. The Cloudy Nights thread quoted earlier states 8kg. Sounds more likely, unless they’ve gone for a much thinner aluminium, which would not bode well.

I’ve had the ED80, have got the ED120 and want the ED150!!!

Paul

• Like 2