SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cooled CCD advice

Kyuzumaki

I have a simple question that I've not been able to answer myself about cooling..

Does it actually help if the ambient temperature is already very low?

My last two or three times out using my camera the air temperature has been below -1 deg C and as low as -4 from the cameras inbuilt sensor. 

It also helps when you have sensor temperature constant during session and shooting calibration frames. Without regulated cooling sensor temperature changes with ambient temperature. 

If you set a temperature for your CCD that can be reached all year round then you can shoot a calibration frames library that will last for quite a while and make life easier for you.... so if you make some bias frames at -15 now and all year round you keep running at the same temperature, you  can use your bias frames (darks and flats too) for a while :) 

2 hours ago, Kyuzumaki said:

Thanks! ok I understand so its the consistency of cooling as well as the degree of cooling. I also though -04 or so was good it seems -15 to -30 is more the order of cooling thats being used.

Depends on the individual CCD / CMOS and its doubling temperature. For example the asi1600mmc has a low doubling temperature of 4c and the ASI183mm has a doubling temperature of 10c. So it much more important to cool the 1600. The main thing however is that the calibration is taken at the same temp to enable accurate calibration requiring set point cooling. 

I’m using an entry level cmos ZWO ASI120mm. So far I’m impressed it’s done better than my dslr! 

Thinking of making a peltier cooler myself to at least keep the temperature consistent. Still not decided on how to control the peltier cooler, was thinking n-channel mosfet, arduino and custom firmware

Archived