sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Second attempt at Pinwheel Galaxy (M101)

Beautiful clear night in Denmark on Sunday night, so got out there in the cold for a few hours:

Pinwheel3.thumb.jpg.dd4c9f084aeb40c6da30221e4e876234.jpg

(Skywatcher 200p, EQ5 goto mount unguided, Canon 450D, [42 x 120s subs @ iso 800, 16 x darks, 16 x flats, 16 x flat darks], DeepSkyStacker + Gimp for levels adjustment)

Polar alignment was a bit off, so some trailing. But I feel it's much better than my first attempt below (didn't do flats, so horrible vignetting, and focus was off, though alignment was better):

57fa4d5769f09_2016-10-0709_08.31(Medium).thumb.jpg.97f6ff025e37aef7f1387b9b1ec890a6.jpg

Edited by meryck
  • Like 13

Like it, as you say much better than the firs one. I struggle to keep round stars at 120s unguided with my heq5 pro and find I have to discard quite a few subs once past about 90s.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DougM43 said:

Like it, as you say much better than the firs one. I struggle to keep round stars at 120s unguided with my heq5 pro and find I have to discard quite a few subs once past about 90s.

Yes, I know what you mean. I don't autoguide, or do any kind of precise polar alignment technique, so it's around a 50/50 chance of round stars for me at 120s. Most of the time it's just about good enough to do something nice with though. :)

15 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

Much better than the first attempt! It was nice to have some clear weather again here in Denmark:-)

Haha, yes, it's been a long grey wait for clear skies... :) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pincs
      Hi I've got an 8" dobsonian and I just got a dslr to connect to it. Obviously there's no tracking so what kind of things can I capture. Will I be able to do dso and planets?
      Thanks
    • By SpaceDave
      I'm new to the astrophotography hobby. I have experience with astronomy. I am struggling to make decent deep sky images (other than M42). The images don't seem to have much definition or brightness despite a decent overall exposure time. See the below images. I have seen on this forum that people are able to take awesome images of the below objects with my same setup. Is anyone able to tell me if I am missing something, please? Do I need even more exposure time?
      I use a Celestron 6SE with unmodified Canon 600D. It has a goto alt az, no EQ. I use a bahtinov mask to focus. Both images were taken with the native focal length of 1500mm, no filters or eyepieces.
      The image of the Triangulum Galaxy is 180 x 15sec ISO800 images. The Crab Neb is 250 x 15sec ISO800 images. Both images had their appropriate flats, darks and biases (30 of each). I use SIRIL to stack the images, which I have had good success with M42 before (see below).
      Any advice would be appreciated!

• By AstroRuz
      In what was my final image with the Optolong L-eXtreme filter before I had to send it back to FLO, I turned it over to Cassiopeia. I knew that the Lobster Claw nebula was hiding there somewhere by using Telescopius and framing it that way (since it doesn't show in Stellarium). I realised that with the field of view achieved by the 80ED, reducer and 071mc Pro I could fit no less than 4, possibly 5 or even 6 DSOs in one frame. I love this part of the night sky. 
      The final image is composed of 31 x 300 second exposures, gain 95 at -5c. I ended up using the wrong dark frames by accident to calibrate it, and in all honesty I was too lazy to go shoot the right dark frames and re-edit it. So I just cropped out any nasty parts and edited it as normal. Not great practice I know but I really didn't get enough time with this target anyway.
      Either way I'm sharing the result and I hope you enjoy it!
      Clear skies all, keep looking up & keep them cameras clicking

• By Mostafa
      I was wondering what images of dso I could get with this setup. How and how much would my images improve if I added in a decent file flattened and what would happen if I exceeded the maximum telescope magnification with Barlow lens.

• By spaceman_spiff
      Date taken: 21 and 23 March 2020. Camera: Astro-Modified Canon 600D. Telescope: SW Esprit 100 with Field Flattener and Baader U-HCS filter. Mount: AZ-AQ6 mount Image: 60 light subs (3 minute with 15 sec interval) with master dark, Flat and bias each made from 80 subs. Comments: The Pinwheel Galaxy is a favourite goto object for me. There is good detail here but not quite beating my image obtained in Salisbury a few years ago. There is no substitute for a dark sky. The larger FoV of the Esprit 100 does capture the smaller galaxies in the background well though. I may try to add more subs to this one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.