Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Challenges in Bootes and Canes Venatici.

Freezing cold evening , but oh the seeing , sublime ! Gave the 200 f6 a tour of Bootes , picking up some stunning sights including the gorgeous Alkalurops. A couple of frac peanuts soon fell open giving clean splits, very surprised at ,

ΟΣ (STT) 288 (SAO 101273)  split at x240 to give 1.0" separation. The mags are +7.5 +6.5 with 92.9AU and a 313 year orbit, helps to visualise what's going on !

ΟΣ (STT) 298 (SAO 64800) , a wider 1.2" separation again with x240. Closer at 28 AU with a period of 56 years. The third companion is wide at 121", giving a triple in a field of orange stars.

Some time was spent getting the focus and collimation right, but the views were very pleasing. Followed these up with 

η Bootis (SAO 100766), giving a delicate companion.

Ascellus secundus (ι Bootis) SAO 29071

The lovely Σ 1835 at x100.

Izar , splitting out of the glow at x200.

Alkalurops (μ) SAO 64686 giving a fine triple.

Then up to Canes Venatici.  A gorgeous " LaSuperba" well worth finding.

2 CNv , wide and delicate.

25 CNv , now at 1.7" and quite delicate.

A very surprising session pushing to the limits of the sky,

clear skies ! Nick.

I am going to get my Reflector out next time it is like last night hopefully very soon I want try for some of the Virgo clusters before it is in the south.

If I try the doubles going to use the handset not the dongle. Great report Nick.

Last night's 1" was nicely split. That's about my limit from here, it's seeing limited with transparency being a bonus.

For ages , the Jet stream has been whipping around and what appears to be a decent sky often makes me think there's something wrong with my eyes .

I get up to x240 using a 10mm Vixen in an old school X2 Vixen Triplet Barlow. Otherwise , it's x216 with a 5.5mm Meade UWA or x200 with a 6mm circle T ortho.

I do prefer views at x100 -150 and teasing out 2".  The straight across OO secondary vane is a definate bonus , giving pea like stars.

The galaxies weren't up to much last night , but the binaries were pushing limits ! A rare session. Under clear skies !

Nick.

Nice report :) I'm just getting into double star observing myself (just picked up an old Fullerscopes 8.75" F7.5 for the purpose).  I too have found I prefer slightly wider evenly matched binaries at 2" to 3" and around x150.  Going higher than x200 is a bit of a pain with the 6 foot tube! 

Stick to the highest that you hold , given the atmosphere. You can try defocussing the diffraction rings , but I like a nice clean split between well focussed rings.☃️

The Fullerscope should be ace on planets , get ready for Mars !

Archived