Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_constellations.thumb.jpg.6034fe99df7fe590f77a776877551964.jpg

daz

SP2018 - Topics for talks

Hi all

As we did last year, we're hoping to spread out the talks/workshops to cover Saturday and Sunday morning as well, but we'd like to understand what you'd like to get from this year!

We're aiming to get 3 talks in on the Saturday afternoon and 2 on the Sunday morning - each one approx 1hr in duration.

So, over to you.... :)

I'm purely visual and relatively inexperienced so here are a few suggestions from me

1. The best of autumn and winter open clusters to observe, what they look like and how to find them without goto - i.e. Using star hopping a constellations

2. Top lunar features worth observing, a bit of their story and when / where to look for them (i.e. When in the lunar phase). The lunar 100 - top tips on observing the trickier ones in this list. Beyond the lunar 100 what next....an observing program for lunatics! 

3. A Light polluted back yard Double star observing program for beginners without goto, the easiest ones to look for and the more unusual ones worth observing.

4. Great objects for binoculars by season in light polluted skies and how to get the most from observing with binoculars. 

I'm sure there will be many other more exciting and great ideas, these are just my thoughts for consideration or improvement.

steve 

• Like 3

Thanks Steve!

I'd like to see Michael Morris do his Lunar geology talk, I missed it last year :)

Night time photography with a DSLR on a static tripod. Some of the milkyway stuff I've seen here and elsewhere are amazing. 

On 25/05/2018 at 13:53, johnfosteruk said:

I'd like to see Michael Morris do his Lunar geology talk, I missed it last year :)

Sorry, not this year.

31 minutes ago, michaelmorris said:

Sorry, not this year.

Fair enough. Would a few pints of the good stuff do for a convincer? :)

• Haha 3

Newtonian Collimation 101 with demonstrations!

• Like 3