Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Morpheus 76° Eyepieces REDUCED

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've also got a 14mm and it's really nice.  I am sorted with EP's......really sorted......totally sorted......an EP for every day of the week really.......I def. Do not need another fabulous, cheap Morpheus...............#@$/@#$$$

49 minutes ago, JOC said:

I've also got a 14mm and it's really nice.  I am sorted with EP's......really sorted......totally sorted......an EP for every day of the week really.......I def. Do not need another fabulous, cheap Morpheus...............#@$/@#$$$

The 9mm is tempting, but my 10mm XW is so good..

11 hours ago, rockystar said:

Argh, should have waited!

Me too.

I bought the 17.5mm a few weeks ago and then got a bad cold so I haven’t had a proper chance to use it. I even waited a while due to the US Baader sale, just in case. Exactly the same thing happened to me when I bought the 9mm and 14mm, they went on sale a week later ? 

Not that I’m paranoid, but I think Baader’s got it in for me. At least they’re nice eyepieces ?

James

8 hours ago, jkwhinfrey said:

Me too.

I bought the 17.5mm a few weeks ago and then got a bad cold so I haven’t had a proper chance to use it. I even waited a while due to the US Baader sale, just in case. Exactly the same thing happened to me when I bought the 9mm and 14mm, they went on sale a week later ? 

Not that I’m paranoid, but I think Baader’s got it in for me. At least they’re nice eyepieces ?

James

I got the 9mm a few weeks ago (belated Christmas pressie),  and I haven't used it yet...

It's my 3rd one, and probably my last ( for the time being, anyway)

1 minute ago, rockystar said:

I got the 9mm a few weeks ago (belated Christmas pressie),  and I haven't used it yet...

It's my 3rd one, and probably my last ( for the time being, anyway)

Lee, what is the 6.5mm Morpheus like to look through? I am thinking of getting the 4.5mm EP, as my 14mm is excellent to look through.

4 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Lee, what is the 6.5mm Morpheus like to look through? I am thinking of getting the 4.5mm EP, as my 14mm is excellent to look through.

I don't get a lot of use out of it I'm honest, it's good, but I much prefer the 14mm. I've got a dob too, which means much nudging at the smaller fov - that's why I invested in the 9mm, I'm hoping it will be a good compromise and nicely fit in that gap

12 minutes ago, rockystar said:

I don't get a lot of use out of it I'm honest, it's good, but I much prefer the 14mm. I've got a dob too, which means much nudging at the smaller fov - that's why I invested in the 9mm, I'm hoping it will be a good compromise and nicely fit in that gap

OK. Ta! I normally use my goto mount mainly, and also all my manual mounts have slo mo controls, so I can keep things in view much easier than having to push and shove a scope around. :) 

The eyepiece seems perfect in my f/5. I've tried it for a few now weeks and haven't found a flaw.

The eye cup problem has been solved. The rubber bit  no longer comes off like with the previous batch of Morphs and the included extension ring is ideal. Eye placement is easy and comfortable.

For anyone who wonders about coma: the eyepiece is completely coma free. And if your telescope has coma, the eyepiece will faithfully show it in all its glory. Like it shows everything else. Crisp, bright, contrasty and faithful to the edge of the field.

How deep the eye lens lies depends on on the eye cup used (none, normal down, normal up, winged) and whether you use the extension ring or not. It varies from approximately 1 mm to 14 mm.

The images here show the normal eye cup folded down: https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/accessories/optical-accessories/eyepieces/morpheus/175-mm-morpheus-76°-widefield-eyepiece.html

This is what's in the box since Jan 2018.

capture_002.png.de39443a66ad354c677a203634462040.png

Very like the Eudiascopics,  which I guess are the forebears of Morpheus. 

Going on @FLO chart, the 9mm has marginally longest eye relief of the whole range. 

Product Specifications

Focal Length 4.5mm 6.5mm 9mm 12.5mm 14mm 17.5mm
Model Number 2954204 2954206 2954209 2954212 2954214 2954217
Barrel 1.25” / 2” 1.25” / 2” 1.25” / 2” 1.25” / 2” 1.25” / 2” 1.25” / 2”
Lens Elements 8 8 8 8 8 8
Lens Groups 5 5 5 5 5 5
Apparent Field of View 76º 76º 76º 76º 76º 76º
Parfocal Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
(ER) Eye Relief 17.5mm 18.5mm 21mm 20mm 18.5mm 19mm
(FS) Field Stop 6.1mm 8.75mm 12.1mm 16.8mm 18.85mm 23.55mm
Field Stop Displacement (Compared to reference plane) 0 0 0 0 0 0
Back Focus Gain (when using 2” Barrel) 21mm 21mm 21mm 21mm 21mm 21mm
Anti-Slip Protection Safety Kerfs Safety Kerfs Safety Kerfs Safety Kerfs Safety Kerfs Safety Kerfs
Photo-Video Adapter (under eyecup) M43 M43 M43 M43 M43 M43
(A) Height of Eyepiece Body (above reference plane) 102mm 97mm 95mm 84mm 85mm 79mm
(B) Length of 1.25” Barrel 24mm 24mm 24mm 24mm 24mm 24mm
(C) Length of 2” Barrel 21mm 21mm 21mm 21mm 21mm 21mm
(D) Outer Diameter 55mm 55mm 55mm 55mm 55mm 55mm
Weight 370g / 13oz 350g / 12.3oz 360g / 12.7oz 345g / 12.2oz 360g / 12.7oz 395g / 13.9oz

Mine arrived at my work address on Friday but I couldn't pick it up til today.

Had a quick peek at the moon tonight before properly dark and before the clouds rolled in... WOW!!

Wonderfully sharp, neutral tone, real spacewalk feel and very much better eyecup now . I like the thread on M43 eyecup extension, it's very comfortable. Sharp at F8 across the field with only the tiniest adjustment right at the edge.

Based on first look this eyepiece is a steal at £149. Fits beautifully in with my XL10.5 and LVW22 - leaving room for a future either 12.5 or 14mm maybe.

I'll post up pics and a proper review when time and conditions allow, but I think this ep is going to be everything Bill P said it is..:thumbsup::headbang:

Dave

Archived