Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scarey time again. oacapture 1.4.0 released

JamesF

Yes, it's time for me to start panicking that everything will break for everyone else but me on all sorts of environments I can't test or with cameras I don't have :)

Most of the work in this release has been trying to tidy up the video mode handling and make the user interface a little simpler.  So, for example, the slightly misleading "16-bit" option has disappeared (misleading because it really meant "more than 8-bit") in favour of listing two separate frame formats with the different bit depths.  In the same way, the "raw mode" option has disappeared.  A camera that does 8-bit per colour RGB and 8-bit raw for instance might now offer something like "RGB24" and "GRBG8" (the latter depending on the actual pattern of the colour filter array).

I've also incorporated the latest ASI SDK from January this year.

Other than that there are lots of little bugfixes and suchlike, and probably one or two new bugs as well.

As before, Mallincam and Altair USB cameras are supported on Linux, but will require their own capture applications to be installed to work.  It's not obvious how to make this work, but I can help if necessary.

I've dropped the binary build for Ubuntu 17.04, but added Ubuntu 16.04 on ARM (32-bit).

Downloads of DMG files for MacOS and .deb/.rpm packages for Linux are on the downloads page  Sources are on github where you can also report any problems

Plans for the next release include integration with Point Grey/FLIR's "Spinnaker" library to support more of their USB3/GigE cameras, support for the Brightstar and ZWO filter wheels, support for Touptek, Mallincam and Altair USB cameras on MacOS and improving the handling of ROI and cropping.  Plus anything else interesting that comes up in the meantime :)

James

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi James, downloaded it and with the Skyris274 it says camera connected at the bottom left but nothing in the capture screen

It defaults to MONO16LE on start up if I change it to MONO8 it displays OK, which of the myriad settings should I use with the Skyris274 ?

Also it still doesn't fit horizontally on the MBP13" screen but that's a minor problem.

Thanks for all your hard work

Dave

MONO8 is probably a good place to start assuming it is indeed a mono camera.  I'll check to see if something is misreporting 16-bit monochrome somewhere.

My current solution for the 13" MBP at home is to split the controls off into a separate window (there's an option in the general settings).  I thought it was handling small screens better now, but perhaps not Retina models?  Another thing for me to check.

James

1 hour ago, cgarry said:

Hi James,

Good work!  Is there any chance of getting the Arch Linux AUR updated to the latest version?  It currently looks to be stuck at a broken version of v1.0.0.

Do you know if there's any way to contact the existing maintainer?  Might be easier to get him to do it given that he'll be more familiar with Arch than I am.  I'm happy to help if necessary and I'll try to download the latest ISO whilst I'm coaching this evening so I can have a play with it in a VM.

James

Ah, I see the current maintainer has decided he can't get a more recent version to compile.  Perhaps that's not much of an option then.  I'll see if I can get it to build first and we can take it from there.

James

I am using Antergos rather than plain Arch, far simpler to install.  If you can get it to build on Arch then producing a package is pretty simple as all it does is download the source code and build it.

Chris

In that case I might start with Antergos too.  Having to install a load more stuff I need from the net when all one's internet connection is less than 2Mb is quite painful :)

James

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

MONO8 is probably a good place to start assuming it is indeed a mono camera.  I'll check to see if something is misreporting 16-bit monochrome somewhere.

My current solution for the 13" MBP at home is to split the controls off into a separate window (there's an option in the general settings).  I thought it was handling small screens better now, but perhaps not Retina models?  Another thing for me to check.

James

I've created issue #278 for this just to keep track of things.

James

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

In that case I might start with Antergos too.  Having to install a load more stuff I need from the net when all one's internet connection is less than 2Mb is quite painful :)

James

When you have Antergos installed, the following at the command line will show the problem:

$ git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/oacapture.git
$ cd oacapture
$ makepkg -si

The file 'PKGBUILD' contains all that is required to build the application.

Cheers,
Chris

Ok, so perhaps we won't go with Antergos.  Two attempts to install it in a VM have now resulted in the error:

"Cannot create download package list (metalinks).  Please reference the following number when reporting this error: 1030194"

James

Yes, it does look like they are having problems.  I just tried to install Antergos in a new VM using the ISO that worked fine yesterday morning and I got the same error message as you.  I assume they will get it fixed shortly.

Chris

Well, as long as I install qt5-tool, cfitsio and autoconf-archive, my local copy of my github repository seems to build without a hitch.

I'm not sure where we go from here though.

James

Have it building ok now, but there's an installation conflict on /lib.  That might take a bit more time to sort out as Arch appears to have decided that using /lib is deprecated for some reason, yet it's where the likes of Fedora/RedHat/Ubuntu store firmware files (for cameras, in this instance).

James

Fixed the VM without needing to reinstall, which is good news.  And I now have a working PKGBUILD file and diff.  I've added them to the github repository here: https://github.com/openastroproject/openastro/tree/master/packagers/arch

Can't find any obvious way to contact the maintainer however.  Hopefully the above is a good enough start.

James

Archived