SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

March 20, 2018: Quiet Solar Lunchbreak

Got the Coronado SolarMax-II 60 DS out just now. The disk is still very quiet, showing the filament I imaged two days ago in the north-west, and a new filament showing further south, near the equator, close to the western limb. The AR I spotted before seems to have turned the corner, or might just still be lingering on the limb. Some disturbance on the surface was visible, but too close to the limb to make out. In single-stack mode I spotted one prom way down south. Switching back to double stack, I could still see it. Little else was visible. A couple of students joined me, and they were quite amazed at seeing even this much detail in their first ever look through an H-alpha scope. 

1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

I do agree, i was just out now, a couple of small prom's visible but not much else, lets hope the sun throws a tantrum in the next few days!

It will have to do so quickly, if I am to see anything. Clouds forecast for much of the rest of the week. We'll see

As I only started solar viewing in 2014, this is my first experience of solar minimum. Still amazes me just how inactive the chromosphere is for such a length of time. Having said that, some lovely views this afternoon of the small filament and prom, and in minutes of very good seeing, could make out tiny spicules around the disc. There's alsmost always something to see in ha. Feel sorry for anyone starting off in white light though. I bought a wedge last autumn for use with FC-100 and Equinox but haven't had it out of the box yet. 

SC24 was promised as being a very “active” by Hathaway NASA ... even I knew this was nonsense as having spoken 

to prof Douglas Gough at the end of SC23 he was predicting the onsault of another MM (Mauder Mininimum) in time !

So naturally as we approach SC25 I predict little or similar activity to SC24

Brian 

Archived