sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Heart of the Rosette

Leveye

Been quite awhile since my last post. Such a brutal winter! Hope this post is finding your skies clear and views amazing. Still capturing whenever I can which is much too few and far between but it's getting better now that Spring is finally here. Finally!! To warm things up a bit more here's a little bit closer look at the Heart of the Rosette Nebula for you.

Stellarvue SV80ED, AT2FF

Hutech spectrum enhanced Canon T5i

Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G

6-600 second lights, 25 darks, 25 flats, 25 dark flats. Stacked in DSS median and Mosaic method. Edited slightly in Adobe Camera RAW.

Let me know what you think of the processing and final outcome. 

Heart of the Rosette.jpg

Edited by Leveye
  • Like 3

That is quite nice for only 1 hour of data, more subs would undoubtedly help.

Have you got some means of controlling the temperature of your canon, so you have built up a library for your darks? I can't imagine you would spend over 4-hours of imaging time capturing them at the same time as your lights :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

That is quite nice for only 1 hour of data, more subs would undoubtedly help.

Have you got some means of controlling the temperature of your canon, so you have built up a library for your darks? I can't imagine you would spend over 4-hours of imaging time capturing them at the same time as your lights :icon_biggrin:

Thank you sir! It's been so long in between sessions here that the temperatures at night have changed already so yes for this one I did the lights, covered the scope and then did the darks. I then did the flats and dark flats at dawn. I now have a current library. I redo them about 4 times a year.

Edited by Leveye
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By VilleM
      Hi! Here is my latest SHO image, it was a pain to acquire the data because this target sets below treeline from my observatory very early but I managed to pull off ~two hours per night.
      Its almost spring so imaging season is coming to an end soon. I hope I can finish other SHO projects too in the coming weeks before astronomical darkness ends here in Finland.

27x300s SII, 30x300s Ha, 29x300s OIII. 10x120s R/G/B, total exposure time is approx. 8 hours.
      Larger version: https://www.evenfall.space/post/cosmic-bloom

• By Geordie mc
      Qsi660wsg-8, TSQ65 refractor, AZEQ6GT mount. Guiding Lodestar x2 PHD2. N.I.N.A. Capture software. Processed in Pixinsight. 34x300sec Ha, 33x300sec OIII and 32x300sec SII. 65 darks. No flats or bias yet. This was a quick process just to see what I’d got. Needs some work but pleased so far. Outlet 4, SW France. Any helpful processing tips much appreciated.

• By SamK
      Here's a close-up of the chain of dark clouds of the Rosette Nebula using public domain data.
      I've used IPHAS survey H-alpha as luminance with a colour layer derived from the Digitized Sky Survey red/blue channels (transformed to a SHO style turquoise/gold colour layer).
      My own 8'' GSO RC version (last image below) was the inspiration (shown for low-res comparison).
      Some people see "animals" formed from the dark clouds... I see a leaping jaguar top right (or spanner!) and an ostrich bottom left.
      The tiny dark circles to the left of the jaguar's head are referred to as globulettes in Gahm et al (2007). The smaller circles are estimated to have masses of about 1-2 times that of Jupiter and a radius of about 2,000 AU and are speculated to result in the formation of free-floating interstellar planetary-mass objects.
      Processing:
      -Photoshop (with Google Nik Collection for output sharpening and noise reduction)
      -Defect cleaning from the IPHAS frames, stacking and mosaic re-mapping using my own software (which occasionally seems to work)
      -Again, my own processing software to do the red/blue to SHO-style colour mapping and also to make a local contrast layer
      Data acknowledgements:
      -H-alpha survey from the 2.5m Isaac Newton Telescope (www.iphas.org/data.shtml), 120 second frames
      -Red and blue from the ESO Digitized Sky Survey archive DSS2 (archive.eso.org/dss/dss)
      -Star colours from GAIA DR2 Archive (gea.esac.esa.int/archive)
      Unprocessed data here
      Cheers, Sam

• By Nicola Hannah Butterfield
      This is the first time I have shot any thing other than M42 and M45 regarding nebulae. Like the M42 I have just posted 10x 60's subs with darks flats and bias, ISO 200 at prime focus.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.