Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Will a telrad finder fit my scope?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many thanks for all the help I’m slowly leaning towards the telrad but not sure yet, weather is perfect at the moment so about to use my scope :D I’ll have a think while I’m out.

I've got mine telrad exactly placed like Red Dwarfer.

But if I had to do it again I remove the finderscope and finderscope shoe and place the telrad on that spot.

Makes it easier to use while sitting behind the telescope, but I am one of those who never use the finderscope.

If you don’t mind the size, and your scope can cope with the size of it after mounting it I’d go with the Telrad. If the scope is small and would look ridiculous with a large Telrad attached then I’d go with the Starpointer Pro. The final decision is down to you. As much as I like my Telrad I wouldn’t mount it on my Celestron 4SE or my Opticstar AR90S ‘frac as it is way too large for them. I might put one on my longer Omni 120mm f8.3 ‘frac (but I haven’t, and use with a Starpointer Pro or a RACI finder depending on use). The only scope I use with my Telrad is my C8 SCT. Both finders work great and do what is required, ie. get you where you want to be in the sky approximately! :) 

20 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

This should give you an idea of the size of the Telrad on the scope. Please note that some numpty, who shall remain nameless (me), has put it on backwards. The thinner end should be at the front of the scope!

03E96F45-C086-4EB6-8708-0767088D4255.thumb.jpeg.08f5346c31d2baced8fada0ead866864.jpeg

After seeing set up properly like that I think it may lot abit silly on my scope I think my scope measures just  close to your first tube ring or abit less thanks for taking that photo

37 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

If you don’t mind the size, and your scope can cope with the size of it after mounting it I’d go with the Telrad. If the scope is small and would look ridiculous with a large Telrad attached then I’d go with the Starpointer Pro. The final decision is down to you. As much as I like my Telrad I wouldn’t mount it on my Celestron 4SE or my Opticstar AR90S ‘frac as it is way too large for them. I might put one on my longer Omni 120mm f8.3 ‘frac (but I haven’t, and use with a Starpointer Pro or a RACI finder depending on use). The only scope I use with my Telrad is my C8 SCT. Both finders work great and do what is required, ie. get you where you want to be in the sky approximately! :) 

Many thanks for your help Gus, think I’ve decided to go with the Star pointer thanks to @Littleguy80 photo above puts it in perspective and also yours earlier. The circles on the star pointer look quite small are they still as affective compared to the telrad ?

How about a Rigel Quikfinder? Nice and compact, similar to a Telrad but with only two rings projected, the 1/2 and 2 degree ones. More suitable for a smaller scope. I have a foot for mine that allows me to fit it to a standard Synta Finder shoe, can’t recall where I got it from though.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/rigel-quikfinder-compact-reflex-sight.html

1 hour ago, Dinoco said:

After seeing set up properly like that I think it may lot abit silly on my scope I think my scope measures just  close to your first tube ring or abit less thanks for taking that photo

Many thanks for your help Gus, think I’ve decided to go with the Star pointer thanks to @Littleguy80 photo above puts it in perspective and also yours earlier. The circles on the star pointer look quite small are they still as affective compared to the telrad ?

Yes, I don’t find that the smaller size of the rings is an issue. I can use rings on the Starpointer Pro just as easily as the rings on the Telrad. 

2 hours ago, Stu said:

How about a Rigel Quikfinder? Nice and compact, similar to a Telrad but with only two rings projected, the 1/2 and 2 degree ones. More suitable for a smaller scope. I have a foot for mine that allows me to fit it to a standard Synta Finder shoe, can’t recall where I got it from though.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/rigel-quikfinder-compact-reflex-sight.html

More options! That one looks quite different compared to the others will have to have a  proper look at that.

I have both the Telrad and QuikFinder.  Here are my random thoughts on them both after nearly 20 years of use:

• The Telrad is easier to find the circles in than the QuikFinder.
  • The Telrad has 1/2 degree, 2 degree, and 4 degree circles.  That outermost circle is nice to have.
  • The QuikFinder only has the inner 1/2 degree and 2 degree circles.  If all you're doing is alignment with no starhopping, it will suffice.
  • The QuikFinder is way more compact than the Telrad, so it suits refractors and small Maks/SCTs.
  • The QuikFinder is small enough to be stored like a medium-large, 1.25" eyepiece in an eyepiece case.
  • The Telrad takes up the space of multiple such eyepieces in a case.  It's more akin to the size of a traditional finder scope.
  • The QuikFinder has a built-in pulser
  • The pulser is an add-on for the Telrad.
  • The Telrad projects its circles at infinity, completely eliminating parallax.
  • The QuikFinder projects its circles only a few yards out, so it has a bit of parallax on the sky.  You need to keep the circles centered in the little built-in dew shield for best aiming repeatability.
  • The Telrad uses AA batteries which I've had corrode after 10 years in the unit.  I was unable to get it to ever work again despite replacing the battery holder.  I guess changing the batteries at regular 5 year intervals should be practiced to avoid this outcome.  The batteries will basically never wear out before they corrode.
  • My QuikFinder is still going strong on its original CR2025 lithium button cell after 18 years with no signs of fading or corrosion.
  • I picked up a couple of used Telrads to replace the corroded one.  I noticed that the potentiometer to dim the LED has worn over time on each, vastly decreasing the dimmability of the circles.  They are more or less bright or off with a very quick transition zone in between.
  • The QuikFinder potentiometer and pulser still act like new.
  • The Telrad can be bit fiddly trying to get the two prongs and two setscrews in the right spots in the dark.  Multiple times I've thought I had it right, only for it to come loose because it wasn't seated properly.  Being it was always dark during those failures, I never could see what it was that I did wrong.  I just started over and felt for the prongs and felt that it was all the way seated before tightening the setscrews.
  • The QuikFinder is more positive about seating it once you remember the right way round to insert it.  There is a catch tab at the back and a snap tab at the front, IIRC.  If it is seated properly, it clicks into place.  Anything else, and there's no sound.
  • The Telrad's alignment thumbscrews are on the back, which means you have fit your fingers between your face and the unit.
  • The QuikFinder's alignment thumbscrews are smaller and on the front of the unit, opposite your face, so there's plenty of room to reach them.

36 minutes ago, Stu said:

Knew I had seen this before; Fozzie did a useful review of the Starpointer Pro, wasn’t overly impressed by it.

I guess not for everyone perhaps, but certainly in my case a worthwhile addition to my Astro gear. I do use a home made cover over my two Starpointer Pro’s for two reasons; one to stop dew forming on it, and also to create a darker view so that the reticule can bee seen better on its lowest setting. I agree that if you do a lot of star hoping then a Telrad would be easier to use, but for any basic alignments I don’t have any issues with the two Starpointer Pro’s I have. :) 

8 hours ago, Dinoco said:

More options! That one looks quite different compared to the others will have to have a  proper look at that.

You do realise asking a bunch of astronomers what equipment to buy is always going to throw up multiple different answers to your query? I guess despite the 3 options posted up so far, whatever you get will be heaps better than the RDF you have. ;) 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Knew I had seen this before; Fozzie did a useful review of the Starpointer Pro, wasn’t overly impressed by it.

I'd forgotten I wrote that.. panned it a bit didn't I! In balance there was a second review around the same time, which the SPP faired a little better. 

My main issues we the plastic mount that I could feel flex as you adjusted the alt/az alignment screws and the fact you could see the recticle from off centre (or at least I could) thought the product had so much promise but little niggling things let it down for me..

Ultimately as I wanted it for my grab and go frac and photo tripod there was just too much movement in the entire system for me to be confident on alignment.. so I moved it on.

I wouldn't be without my rigel QF, stonking bit of kit with the battery pack and some extra bases it's all you'd need for a long time.

Ta

Fozzie

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

You do realise asking a bunch of astronomers what equipment to buy is always going to throw up multiple different answers to your query? I guess despite the 3 options posted up so far, whatever you get will be heaps better than the RDF you have. ;) 

Lol. I should realise this by now after Being on this site for a while. I Guess that’s right the supplied rdf  is a bit bad so anything will help.

6 hours ago, Louis D said:

I have both the Telrad and QuikFinder.  Here are my random thoughts on them both after nearly 20 years of use:

• The Telrad is easier to find the circles in than the QuikFinder.
  • The Telrad has 1/2 degree, 2 degree, and 4 degree circles.  That outermost circle is nice to have.
  • The QuikFinder only has the inner 1/2 degree and 2 degree circles.  If all you're doing is alignment with no starhopping, it will suffice.
  • The QuikFinder is way more compact than the Telrad, so it suits refractors and small Maks/SCTs.
  • The QuikFinder is small enough to be stored like a medium-large, 1.25" eyepiece in an eyepiece case.
  • The Telrad takes up the space of multiple such eyepieces in a case.  It's more akin to the size of a traditional finder scope.
  • The QuikFinder has a built-in pulser
  • The pulser is an add-on for the Telrad.
  • The Telrad projects its circles at infinity, completely eliminating parallax.
  • The QuikFinder projects its circles only a few yards out, so it has a bit of parallax on the sky.  You need to keep the circles centered in the little built-in dew shield for best aiming repeatability.
  • The Telrad uses AA batteries which I've had corrode after 10 years in the unit.  I was unable to get it to ever work again despite replacing the battery holder.  I guess changing the batteries at regular 5 year intervals should be practiced to avoid this outcome.  The batteries will basically never wear out before they corrode.
  • My QuikFinder is still going strong on its original CR2025 lithium button cell after 18 years with no signs of fading or corrosion.
  • I picked up a couple of used Telrads to replace the corroded one.  I noticed that the potentiometer to dim the LED has worn over time on each, vastly decreasing the dimmability of the circles.  They are more or less bright or off with a very quick transition zone in between.
  • The QuikFinder potentiometer and pulser still act like new.
  • The Telrad can be bit fiddly trying to get the two prongs and two setscrews in the right spots in the dark.  Multiple times I've thought I had it right, only for it to come loose because it wasn't seated properly.  Being it was always dark during those failures, I never could see what it was that I did wrong.  I just started over and felt for the prongs and felt that it was all the way seated before tightening the setscrews.
  • The QuikFinder is more positive about seating it once you remember the right way round to insert it.  There is a catch tab at the back and a snap tab at the front, IIRC.  If it is seated properly, it clicks into place.  Anything else, and there's no sound.
  • The Telrad's alignment thumbscrews are on the back, which means you have fit your fingers between your face and the unit.
  • The QuikFinder's alignment thumbscrews are smaller and on the front of the unit, opposite your face, so there's plenty of room to reach them.

Thanks for the excellent post Louis. Having said that I think I maybe back to square one again. I’ll have to read it again when I make my final decision. I will be using it for star hoping, also does the pulse effect make it easier to use? Can you live without it if you don’t have it? It’s quite amazing they last that long. Thanks again  for the post.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice, have just read some reviews on  the Rigel QuikFinder Compact Reflex Sight and thInk I may go with this one. I think the telrad maybe way to big for my scope and will look slightly odd. Is there anything I need to get to attach it on my scope do I need to buy what @Stu linked above to place it in where my current RDF is.

1 hour ago, Olli said:

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice, have just read some reviews on  the Rigel QuikFinder Compact Reflex Sight and thInk I may go with this one. I think the telrad maybe way to big for my scope and will look slightly odd. Is there anything I need to get to attach it on my scope do I need to buy what @Stu linked above to place it in where my current RDF is.

Let us know how you get on with it. Never owned a Rigel, or used one, so be interested to see your thoughts on it. :) 

1 hour ago, Olli said:

If you want to be able to fit it in the original Synta shoe then yes, you will need that extra bracket. It may be worth waiting until you get it so you can see whether the mounting plate will fit somewhere without removing the scope existing shoe.

3 hours ago, Olli said:

You could mount it just ahead of or behind your existing finder shoe if you want it in the same place, but don't want to remove the shoe.  The QuikFinder sticks up enough that the shoe won't block the view either way.  Just leave enough room for your fingers to reach the collimation screws and release tab if you mount it behind.  The QF mount uses double sided sticky tape that never loosens in my experience.  There's also a hole in the center for a screw if you did want to remove your existing shoe and put one of the screws throught the QF mount.  If it's too small, just drill out the hole a little bit until the screw does pass through.  Just make sure the screw head is flush (the mount has a countersunk hole) or the QF won't engage properly when mounted.

7 hours ago, Olli said:

I will be using it for star hoping, also does the pulse effect make it easier to use? Can you live without it if you don’t have it?

The pulsing effect is only useful when aligning on the dimmest objects.  Otherwise, I just dim the circles way down with no pulsing.

I really like the Telrad and find its only drawback is the length of it. There is a lot of empty space in them though so I cut mine down to 6" long.

Here is one of mine mounted on a Celestron 102mm SLT

Celestron 102 SLT.jpg

Archived