Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Will a telrad finder fit my scope?

After having a few sessions with my scope i’ve Realised that I am not getting along with the red dot finder that came with the scope. I seem to get confused easily if the RDS is actually on the object I want to look at even with the brightness down. After doing some research I’ve seen the telrad is a good option and considering the price as well it seems good. However before purchasing I wanted to know if it will fit in the slot where the original red dot finder is. I’ve attached a picture of it so hopefully will help you see if it will fit or not and if it won’t fit what would I need to buy? Sorry if this seems like a silly question but wanted to double check before I buy it.

Many Thanks for the help.

586EF6B0-AFEF-45D6-BED0-69E15C4D2F2E.jpeg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Knighty2112 said:

To give you an idea how big the Telrad is the base plate that it attaches onto your scope with is 7”x2.5”. Images below show it on my C8 SCT with a 2” riser plate also fitted.

0D68F622-6244-4D55-B356-5FA9278BBD1B.thumb.jpeg.0f020b83e06207215ff7693b432b4d53.jpeg

3BED991E-6969-41AE-8A0E-5B140D7C742B.thumb.jpeg.72d6ce3de1c437aadf7e1dc651efed70.jpeg

Thanks for those images Gus, it’s smaller than I thought. I’ve seen FLO do an additional  base plate for it but I’m guessing that would mean to put holes through my scope ?which I don’t really want to do the scope I’ve got is a 130p

2 minutes ago, Dinoco said:

Thanks for those images Gus, it’s smaller than I thought. I’ve seen FLO do an additional  base plate for it but I’m guessing that would mean to put holes through my scope ?which I don’t really want to do the scope I’ve got is a 130p

No. You just stick it on with either double sided tape, or like me I uesed some Velcro strips stuck to the scope tube and the underneath of the Telrad base plate.

I’m sure a Telrad would fit onto the scope OK, but maybe worth looking at a smaller option that has some similar rings showing like the Telrad. I use two of these on my other scopes, and work well too, and it will fit in your existing finder shoe too.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/celestron-starpointer-pro-finderscope.html

7 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

I’m sure a Telrad would fit onto the scope OK, but maybe worth looking at a smaller option that has some similar rings showing like the Telrad. I use two of these on my other scopes, and work well too, and it will fit in your existing finder shoe too.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/celestron-starpointer-pro-finderscope.html

I had seen those before, looked quite good is it like a telrad but smaller ?

Just now, Dinoco said:

I had seen those before, looked quite good is it like a telrad but smaller ?

Yes. Only has two rings showing when switched on, instead of three in the Telrad, but I find it works just as well as the Telrad as long as you have it set to it dimmest level. 

Many thanks for all the help so far. Seems like it’s the Celestron finder or using Velcro/ double sided tape to use the finder. The other thing I was worried about was the weight as I think I’m already near the weight limit and will be adding bst eyepieces as well so not to sure how heavy they are. Don’t want it to suddenly go top heavy.

3 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Here’s an image of the Celestron Starpointer Pro viewed from the back of my Celestron 4SE Mak.

6A743C04-C384-43CD-B81D-B4FFB73181B1.thumb.jpeg.7ffd569d42b474851b119eeec1dcf4ec.jpeg

How many degrees are the two circles?  The Rigel QuikFinder has 1/2 degree and 2 degree circles while the Telrad adds a 4 degree circle to those two.

1 minute ago, Dinoco said:

Many thanks for all the help so far. Seems like it’s the Celestron finder or using Velcro/ double sided tape to use the finder. The other thing I was worried about was the weight as I think I’m already near the weight limit and will be adding bst eyepieces as well so not to sure how heavy they are. Don’t want it to suddenly go top heavy.

The starpointer Pro weighs in at 127g, and the Telrad 298g. 

1 minute ago, Dinoco said:

I used BSTs and a heavier Explore Scientific eyepiece alongside the Telrad without issue. Just put the Telrad on and put your heaviest eyepiece and rebalance your scope. There’s a process for for balancing your scope in the instruction manual. Just shout if you don’t have the instructions and I’ll get you some :) 

6 minutes ago, Louis D said:

How many degrees are the two circles?  The Rigel QuikFinder has 1/2 degree and 2 degree circles while the Telrad adds a 4 degree circle to those two.

No sizes quoted by Celestron, but they work out at approx 1/2 degree for the inner circle and nearly 1 degree for the outer one. 

Archived