Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Pete Presland

RGB Jupiter, Asi290mm

Its a pretty tough time for Planetary/Solar astrophotography at the moment. All the planets are either very low or out of sight presently.

This pretty poor image is the "best" of the year so far. Taken with my C9.25/Asi290mm at the native focal length. I can not remember the last time I popped the camera in and smiled! Not true really, it was last summer. This image really is poor in comparison, hopefully things will be "looking up" at for Mars later this year.

5aaec4d9db261_2018-02-25-0528_0-PeterPresland-RGB.png.22c2134348031bcef7e997bb7a4c499f.png 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

I can not remember the last time I popped the camera in and smiled!

Not too bad for current conditions, so well done for trying Pete. I haven't even had a look at Jup with an eyepiece yet this year, let alone try to image it...!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Not too bad for current conditions, so well done for trying Pete. I haven't even had a look at Jup with an eyepiece yet this year, let alone try to image it...!!

I had a few sessions of getting up at 4:30am to capture this, checking the Jetstream and convincing myself the seeing would better this time! What an fool I am, strangely still enjoyable, sort of......  :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Amazing to get anything at the moment!

When you get up at that time, you are committed to get something....... anything :icon_biggrin: 

• Haha 2