SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Carina Nebula Narrowband

MarsG76

Good evening all,

This is the photo of Eta Carina close up in classic Hubble Palette style color I was imaging during the time I captured the point of light on one of the subs where I started the post about thinking I imaged a SN or a GRB.

The Carina Nebula (NGC 3372) also known as the Grand Nebula, Great Nebula in Carina, or Eta Carinae Nebula, is a large complex area of bright and dark nebulosity in the constellation Carina. The nebula lies at an estimated distance between 6,500 and 10,000 light-years from Earth.

This image was taken across 7 nights in March 2018 through 8nm bandwidth Sulfur II (SII), Hydrogen Alpha (HII) and Oxygen III (OIII) filters and combined where SII is used as the red channel, HII is as the green and OIII is as the blue channel.

Taken using a 8" SCT at F10 with a self modded full spectrum Canon 40D DSLR.

SHO image exposure time was a total of 30 hours , 24 x 900s and 16 x 1800s SII, 24 x 600s and 24 x 900s HII and 36 x 600s OIII ISO800 subs.

The second image is a RGB exposure I squeezed in on the final night before continuing with the final narrowband filter. Basically I set up earlier to image the Carina system well before the meridian flip.

RGB image was exposed for a total of 180 minutes, 12 x 600s and 12 x 300s ISO800 subs

Thanks for looking.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That is a wonderful image. The first thing that caught my attention was the face staring out of it (on both of them)! Never noticed that in any of the photos I have seen of this one anywhere else. Just goes to prove there is always something new to see. Thanks for sharing. 

On 17 March 2018 at 06:06, alan potts said:

Beautiful images there, and what makes them nicer for me is they are ones we don't see ever day because of where you are. Did you actually find the SN, I did read the post?

Surprisingly not a lot of images seem to target the southern objects, there is so many in the far southern sky, that I dare say, I could be imaging my whole life and still not complete them all.

As far as the SN I concerned, I haven't heard any more info about it. Last communication was where I need to send them my raw images, which I still will... But I haven't done anything since Wednesday since my son was born on Thursday morning... So now I was occupied with another star :-)

Once I have more info, I will add it to the post.

18 hours ago, hjw said:

Very nice image. An all-time favorite! I have to admit I prefer RGB image over the Hubble palette.  Bummer about the supernova - it felt SOOO close!

True with the SN... never know... something might still flare up there...

Generally I like the RGB images too, but there are exceptions... I like this Carina, I also liked the Eagle and Running Chicken Nebula in SHO Palette.

3 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Hmm, interesting... I can't say I see a face tho...

I apologise for mutilating your wonderful picture, but it is just to the right of the bright star in the top left quadrant. (It was more noticeable when I first saw it on my phone, rather than on the desktop monitor.)

carina face.jpeg

3 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Surprisingly not a lot of images seem to target the southern objects, there is so many in the far southern sky, that I dare say, I could be imaging my whole life and still not complete them all.

As far as the SN I concerned, I haven't heard any more info about it. Last communication was where I need to send them my raw images, which I still will... But I haven't done anything since Wednesday since my son was born on Thursday morning... So now I was occupied with another star :-)

Once I have more info, I will add it to the post.

Congratulations on the birth of your son! :hello2:

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

I apologise for mutilating your wonderful picture, but it is just to the right of the bright star in the top left quadrant. (It was more noticeable when I first saw it on my phone, rather than on the desktop monitor.)

carina face.jpeg

A yeah.. I see... nicely spotted

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

Many congratulations ... just promise me you won't name him 'Supernova' :icon_biggrin:

Thank you... initially we thought that it was going to be twins, so... I being known as Mars, was going to call them Phobos and Deimos... but when I mentioned this to the wife.. the look she gave me made me, for some reason, think of a big bang... so I (I dare say "wisely") retracted my suggestion ;) HAHA

On 18/03/2018 at 17:10, Demonperformer said:

carina face.jpeg

Now that you pointed it out... that's the first thing I see when I look at this pic.

Archived