SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A great introduction to astronomy on Netflix

Searching these forums, I know that this has been posted about before, but I thought it might be handy for us beginners.  Available on Netflix is Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey.  Just watched the first episode and found it incredibly informative, and highly entertaining. I’m getting a lot from it. Well worth a peep if you have access.

5 hours ago, Ande said:

Searching these forums, I know that this has been posted about before, but I thought it might be handy for us beginners.  Available on Netflix is Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey.

You should seek out the original 1982 COSMOS series by Carl Sagan, masterpiece! it is solely responsible for my life long fascination with astronomy.

R.I.P. Carl!

cosmos.png

Yes, I was going to say I remember watching the original Cosmos series with Carl Sagan back in the 80s.  It was really good.

In the late 80s, I worked with someone who went to Cornell and couldn't stand Sagan.  Apparently, he was quite conceited thanks to his celebrity.  His Introduction to Astronomy class was always full with a long waiting list helping to stoke that feeling of superiority.  It made me glad I never met the man in person, so I could retain my fond memories of him on Cosmos.

• 3 weeks later...

Celestron produced a special edition "Cosmos" telescope with 90mm, f 10.1 refractor, and WiFi control. https://www.celestron.com/products/cosmos-90gt-wifi-telescope

I managed to get hold of a second hand one. It is similar to the current Astro Fi 90mm, but with different plastics on the mount, and a different graphic on the side of the OTA.

Geoff

On 2018-04-04 at 15:09, popeye85 said:

Had anyone got any info on getting the hold of the original? 

I’m pretty sure the original series is on amazon, it is on Amazon.ca but I’m sure it’s on Amazon.uk also, cheaper if it’s dvd which I would buy because blue ray won’t be any better as I have the blu ray set.

26F43DD8-46BE-4756-8A93-1975348DFAC6.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 16 March 2018 at 14:01, Sunshine said:

You should seek out the original 1982 COSMOS series by Carl Sagan, masterpiece! it is solely responsible for my life long fascination with astronomy.

R.I.P. Carl!

cosmos.png

Ditto here. And the book is great too!

Archived