Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

skywatcher skymax synscan az goto

Evening all, 

Im a massive beginner to this and have been offered the above mount (think the person thinks I use telescopes) but I’m heavily into astrophotography, my question is; can you get a dslr mount for this or is it purely for telescopes only? As a beginner it would be a great bit of kit that doesn’t break the bank, helping me progress. Any help kindly received

craig

Welcome

The mount as it is tracks in tiny left right up down movements which whilst tracking the sky does not account for the earth's rotation so exposure time is limited by field rotation. Your other option is to consider the Skywatcher star adventurer which is an example camera imaging option.

I use a dove tail bar. You can get flash hot shoe mounted red dot finders to help with aligning the mount. The mount should have a synscan handset.

Highly unusual wedge mounted az head but I have just realised that this is a Celestron SLT head and it has the ability to be used in EQ mode (with the addition of a wedge) and I am not sure if the Skywatcher Az snyscan does. Link here

So if only AZ mode is available then this thread might be of interest. Link here

Only you know how quickly you might get frustrated with the limitations of AZ tracking for imaging and whether your dosh is better saved for what might better suit your needs.

Hello Craig,

I use my Skymax 127 mostly for visual observing, but have used it with my Nikon D3200, mounted on a T-mount. My Virtuoso 90 came with the "L" bracket, but I have yet to use it for the DSLR without a telescope. I find that the AZ/Alt method of tracking is OK with exposures of up to 8 seconds (and the 127mm Mak's focal length of 1500mm). With the shorter focal length lenses normally provided with a DSLR, you should be able to use longer exposures.

Geoff

Archived