Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece identification please

BellP

Hello,

I recently bought this eyepiece and was wondering if someone could enlighten me as to what it is, I bought it as it stood out from some other non related items in the shop(they sell all sorts of stuff, not all related). I liked it because it seemed well engineered and I thought I could use it on one of my scopes, it appears to be 2 inches long when fully assembled and wider than my standard 1.25 eyepieces, it has the words "LUNAR FILTER" engraved on it and breaks down into 4 seperate parts, appears well engineered, steel and brass I think. Thoughts??

IMG_20180311_152522.jpg

IMG_20180311_152610.jpg

IMG_20180311_152836.jpg

I'd agree that the aluminum adapter is modern machining while the rest is antique.  The moon filter is probably just a removable neutral density filter for lunar observing near full moon.  It's interesting that the eyepiece comes apart, possibly to provide different magnifications.  It's probably an older design like a Kellner or some such.  Given the tiny lenses, it probably has a very short focal length.

Thanks very much guys, yes it is quite interesting, that's what attracted me to it, i have tried it on my telescopes but not seeing much, i will continue trying to get a good view with it, it is certainly solid and quite heavy. If it provides a good view i will share my findings.

Peter 

Archived