Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just ordered telescope. What else?

Well, the telescope and accessories arrived today from FLO.  Oh, and I did buckle and add the right-angle finder to the order.  Spent a pleasant afternoon assembling the dobsonian, and having a bit of a play. Need to go further afield over the weekend to align the finder scope properly.  Due to the layout of the yard and surroundings, I could only align with a lampost  about 200 yards or so away.   I’ve yet to attach the Telrad, as I’m not sure where would be most practical. I’ll have a couple of little sessions before I affix it.

I absolutely love the telescope.  It has a feel that belies it’s price tag.  Seems incredibly robust and well engineered. Managed to have a thumb through Turn Left at Orion, and it really whetted my appetite, then I popped outside and the weather wetted my skin ?. Typical, lol.  Mind you, the box from FLO did say “May Contain Clouds”.  Can’t wait for the stars to show themselves ?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 15/03/2018 at 11:13, mikey2000 said:

A 200p with 8mm eyepiece is quite a lot of magnification (x150?)

x150 with a 1.3mm exit pupil will be a nice medium high power in the 200P, good for planets, globs, doubles etc. Should be useable on most reasonable nights.

On ‎16‎-‎3‎-‎2018 at 20:13, Ande said:

Mind you, the box from FLO did say “May Contain Clouds”.  Can’t wait for the stars to show themselves ?

Hahahaha, new telescopes means cloudy wetter!

But that will give you the opportunitie to do practish runs on stellarium. It has a telrad finder available.

Great telescope you bought, have fun!!!

2 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

If you have a decent printer, this is a way of getting an atlas of a size/depth to match your gear.

Just had a peek.  That looks very comprehensive.  Also, a bit daunting.  It's definitely something I need to work my way towards, as star charts are a foreign language to me at present.  I'm slowly working my way through Turn Left at Orion, and am hoping to pick up some of the lingo, and necessary skills along the way.

Pasted for you from another thread:

The best thing I ever bought for my 200P was a cheap adapter 3D printed from ebay that allowed me to install two finders on it.  I changed the straight through finder very quickly to a RACI finder (it's far easier to look through IMO) and then I bought a cheap Celestron red dot finder (RDF) (with the same shoe type).  It was still taking me 20 minutes to find targets with just the RACI (or straight through finder, but with the RDF added I can find anything I can see in the sky in about 30 seconds flat.  I have the RACI pinpoint aligned with the main telescope and the RDF aligned thereabouts.  Once I have something in the RDF it is then in the RACI view and if I am pinpoint central with the RACI it is central in the telescope EP.   I can't recommend the two finder combo enough - maybe you won't have a problem, but I found finding specific stars that I wanted in the view incredibly difficult until I added the RDF.  Picture here of my finder setup

Finders2.jpg

When you do decide to collimate and it isn't as frightening at it first seems (I know how frightening this is), you will need Astrobaby's guide linked to above and a Cheshire collimator.  I bought a laser type too, but found the Cheshire was the tool for the job.   You will need a good 60-90 minutes the first time!

Thanks for the advice.  I've actually bought a Telrad, which I shall use in conjunction with the RACI.  I've offered it up to the telescope, and think I have the ideal position for it.  Still haven't fixed it there yet though, just in case ;)  Regarding collimation, I did purchase a Cheshire collimator, although I've yet to use it.  I am quite intimidated by the process, and intend to get at least a couple of viewing sessions under my belt before I start messing.  Even if the scope isn't at it's optimum, Im hoping that it will still be good enough to get me by before I dive in.  

I did look at Astrobaby's guide, as so many have recommended it, but got a little confused by the process.  Initially, it says that 90% of alignment problems are to do with the Primary mirror, and it's probably best to leave the Secondary mirror alone, unless it actually needs adjustment.  But then it goes straight in with the instructions to setup the Secondary mirror as the first, necessary steps.  I was all for leaving it alone, lol.  I'm sure it all makes sense to you lot, but has me as confused as hell.

2 minutes ago, Ande said:

I am quite intimidated by the process, and intend to get at least a couple of viewing sessions under my belt before I start messing.

Good idea. Do a star-test and see what the collimation is like already. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Apologies for my ignorance, but is there an actual "star-test" that can be performed?  Or do you just mean point it at the stars, and if it looks good it is good? :)

Can I suggest a longer focal length eye piece. Having one will give a wider field of view in your main scope than either the 8 or 10, really good for star fields, Milky Way, open clusters etc.

I would recommend 20mm to 30mm in round figures. Also a 2x Barlow, which would effectively give 10mm to 15mm respectively from the 2 eps.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will be looking into additional eyepieces at a later date.  I do have the 10mm, and the 25mm that came as stock, and also added a BST 8mm, so I've got a little bit to play with from the off.  I'll have a much better idea once I've actually got to use the thing, lol.  At this very moment, the skies are clear where I live, although it is quite gusty.  Fingers crossed, I might be able to have a tiny test session later, if the clouds don't roll back in again.

6 hours ago, Ande said:

Thanks for the advice.  I've actually bought a Telrad, which I shall use in conjunction with the RACI.  I've offered it up to the telescope, and think I have the ideal position for it.  Still haven't fixed it there yet though, just in case ;)  Regarding collimation, I did purchase a Cheshire collimator, although I've yet to use it.  I am quite intimidated by the process, and intend to get at least a couple of viewing sessions under my belt before I start messing.  Even if the scope isn't at it's optimum, Im hoping that it will still be good enough to get me by before I dive in.  

I did look at Astrobaby's guide, as so many have recommended it, but got a little confused by the process.  Initially, it says that 90% of alignment problems are to do with the Primary mirror, and it's probably best to leave the Secondary mirror alone, unless it actually needs adjustment.  But then it goes straight in with the instructions to setup the Secondary mirror as the first, necessary steps.  I was all for leaving it alone, lol.  I'm sure it all makes sense to you lot, but has me as confused as hell.

Good luck with your new scope - I have my Telrad close beside the RACI and they are both a great help ...

31D86926-DEC1-4B7B-B95F-DB1846B8436E.png

3BE691F6-AE06-46E3-AFE9-57121D72FBE1.jpeg

4593CDDE-EECC-447A-88AC-FABE7E32F8A6.png

On 15/03/2018 at 10:44, Ande said:

A Fiat 500!!  I think I’m already pushing my luck with the scope I’ve ordered ?

It fits across the back seat packed with a Duvet for protection and the base sits on the front seat, just don't drop the OTA when passing the OTA behind either seat?
I'm sure it will fit in the boot with the rear seats folded, though haven't tried loading that way.
Not sure you needed a collimation cap and a Cheshire, the Cheshire alone will be the main tool.
Everything else seems in good order, although there's a few more Starguiders to choose from :icon_biggrin:
Ive noticed my 8 and 12 get the most use, not that their far better than the others, its just that I  regularly use between  100 - 150 x magnification, the other eyepieces all have a role to play. 

To be honest, I wasn't sure about the cap either, but figured that a fiver wasn't going to break the bank.  And I'd have been gutted if I had found a need for one, and had to wait for one to come through the post.  Don't trust myself enough to make a DIY one yet.  Thanks for the Fiat 500 info.  I did measure the back seat, and found that I had a few inches to spare.  Although, as you say, it will be a bit precarious getting it in the back with it being only a 2-door.  I had also thought about folding the seats down, and popping it in the boot, but the seats don't lie flat.  I think I'd rather go the backseat route, and have the scope more fully supported.  Don't want any warping or flexing of the OTA if I can help it.

An old duvet (or buy one specific) will cushion the rear of your car, offering plenty of support for the OTA (Optical Tube Assembly ).
If you re- fit the tension handles its almost impossible for the OTA to roll or move about.

@Mikey2000 mentioned the high power associated with an 8mm?  I view the Moon well  in excess of 200x sometimes over 300x power, and no issues, except keeping up with a moving target, which soon becomes second nature to operate.

If you note the focal ratio of this scope f/6, taking a similar sized eyepiece will  provide a 1mm exit pupil and 200x power, this scope easily manages this level of performance / magnification and some! The only limitation here is the seeing conditions and your level of darkness provided from your viewing site. The darker the better.

As for eyepieces, looking at my signature, I only really need the Starguiders to get the best for my needs, that said, they do not have a 6mm in their lineup, so  I incorporated the William Optics SPL 6mm,  and the Panaview was bought to provide more field of view when observing M31 - Andromeda at the darker site.
The rest are surplus to be honest, but having always wanted a Plössl set, I found the Revelations really affordable and for my needs, better than the Plössl's listed in the 'sold' line.

The only extra thing you need just now is some good weather.

5 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Unfortunately, good suppliers, who can be relied upon to supply this in an efficient and timely manner, are not common. A new market niche for @FLO perhaps?

I would be happy with a planetarium to visit!

21 hours ago, Ande said:

To be honest, I wasn't sure about the cap either, but figured that a fiver wasn't going to break the bank.

I leave my Aline in the 1.25" to 2" adapter in my Dob's focuser as a plug to keep out dust (the two tube ends are capped).  That leaves just a tiny hole for ventilation and miniscule amounts of dust to enter while stored in my coat closet.  When I take the scope outside, I point the it at a light source and check the primary collimation before removing the Aline.  The secondary doesn't generally move because it's not on springs, so I rarely check it.

Archived