Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Pete Presland

Venus and Mercury through the wobbly haze!

With Mercury almost at its greatest elongation and Venus just below, I had been waiting for a chance the 1st images of the year.

Both planets well and truly in the "murk" by the time I was able to image them, the view was pretty poor. Still both phases showing reasonably well, no chance of any detail to be honest.

Venus showing as nice 96.6% illuminated disc, quite small though at Diameter 10.21". Mercury 52.6% illuminated disc, even smaller Diameter 7.00".

The UV filter Venus will have to wait for more favourable position/conditions.

Both images with my Asi290mm and 807 filter. Two for record if nothing else :icon_biggrin:

5aa98e32e8bc7_2018_03_1318.39807filter.png.cc0bfc3807552810a717bdab0d7afdd1.png  5aa98e45d0fe6_2018_03_1318.58807filter.png.eaf408cb05803ebf368e38f8784fc17e.png

• Like 8

great shots under the conditions Pete, ive never had a image any bigger than a point of light with Mercury. well done. charl.

• Like 2

Nice work. I have been keeping an eye out for them, but my view to the west is too cluttered to get them from the garden. Need to set up the scope elsewhere

7 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Nice work. I have been keeping an eye out for them, but my view to the west is too cluttered to get them from the garden. Need to set up the scope elsewhere

Looking forward to Venus getting a lot higher and capturing some daylight UV images.