Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

-ChoJin-

M31 DSLR, yet another one, First Light & my first Astrophoto ;-)

Hello,

This is my first astrophotography with my own scope (and first light for this scope). I've always been fascinated with this galaxy, and it was my childhood dream to capture it. It finally happened ;-)

You'll find all the technical details on the description on flickr.

Overall it's the first light of my skywatcher Quattro 250mm/1000mm f4, NEQ6, with an unmodded Canon 6D.
Integration time: 1h59
Processed with PixInsight.

link to flickr for the full resolution and description: 

M31 Andromeda Galaxy -- Sur un ciel d'Aubrac

• Like 30

WOW, it is just beautiful, i'm sure those with years of AP experience would be far better judges but i tell ya, on first impression, you could have fooled me that it came from some book!

Struth your first image....?.  That is mind blowing. And as already said, you have set the bar incredibly high for your second image. No pressure. :) 

• Like 1

You must be a very experienced amateur astronomer indeed to have produced this at your first attempt at Astro. Photography.
I'm sure many of our fledgling members would be very interested in your methods employed in creating this wonderful Image.
The skies must have been very kind to you

Cracking job and congratulations on now having 'your own' scope. 

Bravo. :)

That is very nice, if it were mine I would knock back the Saturation a bit and drop the blue curve to make the stars a bit whiter, otherwise it really is a very good first image.

Glorious! Thats an amazing amount of detail, and I like the blue around the rim of the galaxy, it contrasts nicely with the yellows at the center!

Unbelievable first shot! Beautiful!!

I'm doing something seriously wrong as I can't get anything close!

Remarkable image @-ChoJin- , I assume you have had much practise with borrowed scopes? You say this is your first with your own scope?

Very clean.  Well done.  I too would notch down the blue a bit--though that may require a modification of the other colors--hard to say.  Or, if you could manage to capture some Ha to counterpoint the blue.....Also, if you notch the brightness down in the core just a tad I think you will find that the dust lanes will be visible through the glare.  I wouldn't do an HDRcompression--but using Histogram with the rest of the image masked works well (or curves--but I like using the histogram as that maintains the color balance.)

Rodd

I like it!  Well done.  Brave choice of instrument for a fledging amateur.

thank you very much for all your kinds words.

regarding the intensity of the blue and the core, I have to admit I tend to like very high contrasted photograph but the other issue I have is that I dont have yet a color calibration device. I'm therefore working with an uncalibrated monitor on my (very old) macbook pro. Hopefully what you're seeing isn't too far from what I intended though...

I just ordered a print on alu dibond (I've read it was a good medium for astrophoto because of the deep black and matte finish), I'll see how the colors look like... And maybe I'll invest in a color calibration device ;-)

I also have to admit I didn't really have prior first-hand experience as a direct scope operator, but I really did my homework first. I tend to read *a lot*. I've read countless of tutorials, this forums, other forums etc. about guiding, software, pitfalls and everything I could find really prior to this.

But overall, I think I also was quite lucky (beginner lucky day syndrome). That night wasn't too windy. The skywatcher quattro 10" is very heavy and bulky, I'm pretty sure it's going to be really tricky on windy nights.

Also, I think I have to thanks the very very dark sky I had. To choose it I used google earth and a special astrophoto light pollution map for it. I then searched for the darkest area I could find in France and still car-accessible (i.e. not high up in the Alpes mountain). I zoomed in.. and I street-searched for a suitable area... So I guess we could say this is the darkest area in France ;-)

Anyway, thank you very much for your kind words.

It truely is a nice m31 but what about the other first light images you've posted?

5 minutes ago, Scott said:

It truely is a nice m31 but what about the other first light images you've posted?

I think it says first light with this particular kit, whereas on the other image he was using one in an observatory that his cousin owns/manages. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ICR_2019
      Hi all
      I am one happy newbie.
      A short break in the cloud last night and I got my first hit on Andromeda.
      At first it was a small grey patch but with persistence and averted vision I got glimpses of  a bright central core with grey "cloud" extending out from each side.
      So my question from my LP back garden what might I be able to do to improve or at least get a more consistent visual.
      I have a skywatcher 130p the best views came with the supplied 20mm. 
      Would flocking and a dew shield help with contrast? A 25 or 32mm eyepiece clean up the image? Or maybe a colour filter to make it pop a little?
      I understand the limitations of both the scope  and viewing site both have a major effect but there must be steps I can take to get the best from what I have.
      Thanks in advance Ian 

• By Andywilliams
      Last week on august 5th we were treated to a coronal hole followed by some G1 auroral activity here in New Zealand.
      Unfortunately I live a bit too far north to capture the spectacular Auroral images.
      However, ever the optimist, I set my canon 6d with a Samyang 14mm lens up in my backyard and captured 300 or so shots (20 seconds at iso 3000) which I then sent through to lightroon timelapse.
      I'm quite pleased with the result. Definitely some colour there.

• By Andy Cole
      Hi all
      I'm a newbie here but not totally new to astronomy. I've had a telescope since I was a teenager (over 30 years!) and only ever had 1 telescope - a Tasco 40x40mm reflector. I expect members my age are familiar with it - thin and white with a thin metal tripod and a push and pull focuser.  It's still functional at more than 30 years old although the thread on the eyepiece is worn so the eyepiece falls off regularly! I've only ever used it to look at the moon, Jupiter and Saturn and that's always been good enough for me.  Now I have been thinking of getting a new scope. I have a very limited budget and so I am wondering whether I will get any significant improvements on what I can see.
      My earliest memories of the Tasco from childhood were that I could see the rings of Saturn as a line across the circle of the planet.  Having rekindled my interest in the last few years, I have started to use it again, and nowadays, when Saturn is visible, I can clearly see the rings 'as a ring' and the gap between the planet and the rings, which I don't remember seeing as a kid. 
      Vieing Jupiter I can usually see about 4 moons.
      I've heard that the Skywatcher Heritage 130P Dobsonian is a good 'budget' telescope, and great for casual use, which is what appeals to me most.  I don't want a telescope with complicated setup or one that takes up a lot of space.  TheSkywatcher seems to fit the bill, and it also fits my very limited budget.
      What I am most interested to find out is whill I get an improved view of the things I have already experienced?  I have read some reviews that describe what you can see with this scope and it sounds like it's pretty much what I can already see. And it's maximum 65x magnification doesn't seem like much better than the Tasco's 40x. But will the wider aperture make a bigger difference than the magnification?
      I'm also interested to know if I could use this scope for basic astrophotography - I have numerous cameras - phone cameras, compacts and DSLR's (photohraphy is my main hobby).  I'm not talking about hour long exposures of dark sky objects, just what can be seen easily through this scope.
      I'd love to know what people's opinions are, especially if you own or have used this scope.  I'm also interested to hear recommendations for other scopes, but please remember I have limited budget and space.  I know that an 8" or more is better and I would love one but they are just too expensive and too large for me.
      Cheers
      Andy
    • By mdstuart
      The August galaxy of the month (the 100th one actually) from the Webb Society is NGC 7042 in Pegasus.
      https://www.webbdeepsky.com/galaxies/2019/
      So I thought, better get that new 20 inch dob out and try it. The sky was a bit milky and there was a lot of high cloud around but that was not going to stop me!
      Well I found NGC 7042 fairly easily. You can tell its a spiral as it has that characteristic low surface brightness glow across its entire face. It sits next to a triangle of stars. I then worked hard to see if I could see NGC 7043. I could not see it last time I tried when I had a 14 inch scope. Well this time I got it just! Very faint even with averted vision but definitely there. I managed to see stars to mag 14.9 despite the poor skies.
      Here is my observation:

I also had a look at a few more galaxies on my target list, IC 1473 in Pegasus (within a triangle of stars) and IC1550 in Andromeda. That brings my total galaxies observed up to 1800.
      Here is IC1550 from Aladin. Perhaps not galaxy of the month but it was special to me as no 1800 and it looks lovely next to that field star. I read that it is about 275 million light years away behind the Perseus-Pisces supercluster wall of galaxies.

Another great night of observing with the new 20 inch scope. 
      Do give any of the above targets a go as they are well placed to the east at the moment (which is best for me over the Cotswolds!) and let me know how you get on.
      Thank you to Owen for the inspiration.
      Mark
    • By sammak127
      Here is a picture I took with my wife on holiday in France. It was a rare evening of stargazing after 3 year toddler hiatus. 
      We took it on a canon 6d with a 16mm wide angle sitting on the star adventurer.
      It’s  based on 3 exposures where I stacked the sky part whilst only using 1 layer for the foreground. Maybe 20 second exposures I can’t quite recall now. Then bumped up the levels also in photoshop. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.