SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bresser NT150L, (Review to follow) brief first light

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 14/3/2018 at 17:16, nightfisher said:

its larger than i expected

Hi. I don't think it's any bigger or smaller than any other 150 f8 Newtonian is it? The aluminium tube keeps the rigidity up and the weight down. It balances fine on an eq6 and guides up to 5 minutes, beyond which you need an oag.

Cheers and good luck with it:)

IMG_20170621_202851.thumb.jpg.27f6a01348597ae3ebde75ef4ebd6869.jpg

34 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi. I don't think it's any bigger or smaller than any other 150 f8 Newtonian is it? The aluminium tube keeps the rigidity up and the weight down. It balances fine on an eq6 and guides up to 5 minutes, beyond which you need an oag.

Cheers and good luck with it:)

IMG_20170621_202851.thumb.jpg.27f6a01348597ae3ebde75ef4ebd6869.jpg

Many thanks, i have to hope it will work okay on my EQ5, as thats all i have, but this will be just Luna imaging with a canon dslr, i do have dual drives on the EQ so once in position it should track long enough to get some good pics

The post you all are waiting for, i have just had a very short first light, just Luna and a quick look at Sirius, 

Luna views are as expected, rather good, i started with a BCO 18mm and i could just fit the crescent Moon on the field edge to edge, this gave very crisp and sharp detail, i also found my Revelation superview 15mm gave a very sharp image, yet again this ep gives a rather "cool" as apposed to warm image and will be a firm favourite with this scope, with a 32mm plossl i got a nice view of the earthshine, see very poor A-focal image (Lumix held to ep)  I tried the 9mm ortho and yes it worked but conditions were far from ideal.

Sirius reminded me of the dreaded diffraction spikes, hopefully i can get past my dislike for spikes!

The EQ5 handles the OTA with comfort (sigh of relief) needing less counter weight than expected

The finderscope is pure pants, its a total waste of space, yes it can be made to work but far to much plastic in the finder set up, i will look to fitting a skywatcher shoe so i can use my 9x50 raci.

The dovetail has the nice stainless anti- mark metal strip on it, but it would not fit the puck of the EQ5 with it in place, 2x little cross head screws and it was of.

At this very early stage i do like it but the 127 Maksutov is way easier to mount and use........guess i will have to keep both :happy11:

Bresser (1).JPG

Bresser (3).JPG

Bresser (2).JPG

Should be an interesting few sessions for you to see how the scope performs. Obviously so much longer than you are used to. And the newt diff spikes come as norm.

But after Ipeace feelings with his newt v 150 Mak it will be an interesting view point how you feel the f/8 gets on

IMG_20180123_174931-1-1.thumb.jpg.59bc5b414e5d1705218e7c8c5702eabb.jpg

A quick snap I took a few weeks back through the eyepiece,using a android phone

This was using a 8" newt at f/4.5

Look forward to more snaps and your continued assessment?

7 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Should be an interesting few sessions for you to see how the scope performs. Obviously so much longer than you are used to. And the newt diff spikes come as norm.

But after Ipeace feelings with his newt v 150 Mak it will be an interesting view point how you feel the f/8 gets on

IMG_20180123_174931-1-1.thumb.jpg.59bc5b414e5d1705218e7c8c5702eabb.jpg

A quick snap I took a few weeks back through the eyepiece,using a android phone

This was using a 8" newt at f/4.5

Look forward to more snaps and your continued assessment?

Cheers, as a pure Luna scope i think this will be a pretty good as spikes wont come into it, will put it through its paces with a proper camera connected, and then get a better feel for it

Well it certainly looks right sat on the eq5, Jules, and I'm sure it will give you a tad more resolution than the Mak. Lets hope the spikes grow on you. I'm Ok with spikes as long as I also have a scope that doesn't show them.  

5 hours ago, 25585 said:

You can buy curved vane spiders that don't show spikes. 

wont be any need for curved vanes, i did buy this knowing it would be used 98% for luna work

Thanks Ian, looking forward to getting the 1000D fitted and seeing how it does on its intended purpose Luna imaging, might be an idea to dust of the collimation eyepiece and double check it........if i can remember how to!

• 3 weeks later...

I now have a skywatcher finder shoe on its way, so at least i will be able to use my 9x50 RACI with the scope, coming back to this thread i had started to forget what this scope looks like, its been so long since first light, still waiting to get a camera on it and point it at the Luna surface

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to use this Bresser last night with the DSLR......not a great success, can ONLY just get focus withabout 2mm in travel spare, and the batteries on the EQ5 just would not drive the motors, better branded batteries would make a difference (Duracell really do work well in this situation) very glad i have kept the 127 Maksutov

Can you tweak the collimation bolts to give you a little more room on the focus by moving the mirror up the tube Jules?

I would get yourself a decent battery or mains p/s, much more satisfactory I reckon.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Can you tweak the collimation bolts to give you a little more room on the focus by moving the mirror up the tube Jules?

Good idea, most collimation bolts I've come across have quite a bit "slack". I suppose much will depend on where they are set now, but it should be possible to get another mm or two, if that's enough. if that fails its possible that longer bolts and stronger springs would sort it, but it seems a shame  to go down that DIY path on a new scope.

1 minute ago, Alfian said:

but it seems a shame  to go down that DIY path on a new scope.

Agreed!

Having said all this, it DOES come to focus so is perfectly workable as is.

One other problem not so easy to fix, there is a whole heap of vibration/wobble on the camera screen when trying to focus.

When i had the first light it was just with eyepiece, but with the camera fitted things are not so good

8 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

One other problem not so easy to fix, there is a whole heap of vibration/wobble on the camera screen when trying to focus.

When i had the first light it was just with eyepiece, but with the camera fitted things are not so good

Motor focuser?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Motor focuser?

Might be an option, not one that i have looked at yet, once i have a better power source for the tracking will see how it goes, not end of the world to wait 5 seconds between each twiddle of the focuser

A little update, i ordered a ubec with 5-6v dc out put and now can power the EQ5 from a lipo battery, going to use an 1800mah 2 cell, this will give oodles of power at just the right volt

On 21/04/2018 at 08:44, nightfisher said:

with the DSLR......not a great success, can ONLY just get focus withabout 2mm in travel spare

Hi. Strange. Even with a 16mm OAG, I've still 6mm left with my 700d...

oag.thumb.jpg.12aa180fa5ba4f058392ba31c6fd746f.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sadly it has not worked out with this Bresser, mainly due to the size of it on my EQ5, a bit to much wobble with a Canon DSLR for my liking, combined with a reduction in the amount of astro i get to enjoy, so today i will be meeting with David Lukehurst as he has agreed to purchase it

Archived