SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bresser NT150L, (Review to follow) brief first light

So after about 18 months of umming and erring as to getting a long focal length Newt, a decision happened, followed quite soon after with a delivery.

I had wanted to get the TS (GSO) 150mm F6, but as this scope is configured mainly for observing, and i mainly image, i reluctantly decided against, as i did not want to have to start modifying a brand new scope, so after seeing the low price of what was meant to be ex display Bresser 150 F8, and hearing from a fellow member that this model will do observing and DSLR imaging, the decision was made, and today it arrived :happy11:

First impression, very well packed, second, oh heck its larger than i expected, but thats kinda what i wanted.

the build quality looks to be extremely good, at a glance it gives the feeling of being a very well made posh TAL, but much as i love TAL scopes i dont think they could build a scope of this quality the only exception being the very plastic 6x30 finder, if the scope proves to be a keeper then the finder and shoe will just have to go, and my 9x50 RACI will find its way onto the tube, but the focuser seems pure and sweet, a chunky rack and pinion that more than makes up for the slightly poor finder scope.  Thats about all i can say about this scope at this time, once the weather gods give me a break i will report back to confirm the optical quality.

Some quick unboxing picks

P1000725.JPG

P1000726.JPG

P1000727.JPG

P1000728.JPG

P1000729.JPG

P1000730.JPG

P1000731.JPG

P1000732.JPG

P1000733.JPG

P1000734.JPG

P1000735.JPG

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Stu said:

Looking good Jules, first light soon hopefully. How does it seem on your mount? EQ5?

Stu, not had a chance to put it on the EQ5 yet, it will be getting close to the limit but its main use will be Luna imaging, with tracking

19 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Stu, not had a chance to put it on the EQ5 yet, it will be getting close to the limit but its main use will be Luna imaging, with tracking

Hopefully it will work ok. If you are not constantly touching it whilst observing you would hope it will be quite stable enough for imaging.

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hopefully it will work ok. If you are not constantly touching it whilst observing you would hope it will be quite stable enough for imaging.

I think it will be fine, i often have the Canon set up via the laptop, or at very least a wired shutter button, so once tracking and focused its hands free

1 hour ago, iPeace said:

Looks great! Would love to try that focuser. :icon_biggrin:

Mike, the focuser seems pretty good i have only wound it out and back in a couple of times, i would not describe it as buttery or silky, but as very nice, very positive, i think it can be converted to dual speed

On 14/03/2018 at 22:32, iPeace said:

I like the sound of that; for me, there's such a thing as too slippery when it comes to focusers.

It really is a nice focuser, has large metal finger wheels with knurled edges, just seems to work how you would expect, looking forward to first light as soon as weather gives me a break

19 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

Really loved my 150pl f8, why did I sell it ? Just wonderful lunar and planetary views. Plenty focus range , a suitable upgrade 

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/bresser-messier-1-10-gear.html

Enjoy ! Under clear skies !

Nick.

One of the reasons for getting this F8 was all the good things i have heard about the 150pl f8

The views of the Moon are absolutely stunning through my 150pl f8, for me it's a keeper. I keep it mounted in the summer house and is easy to lift the whole thing on to the patio for viewing, no cool time needed. I use a 24mm Panoptic, 18.2mm Delite, 6mm Delos and an ES 2x Barlow which gives a good range of magnifications.

image.jpeg.4e33f1805010f4bb0cab23cd7b62f947.jpeg

1 hour ago, avtaram said:

The views of the Moon are absolutely stunning through my 150pl f8, for me it's a keeper. I keep it mounted in the summer house and is easy to lift the whole thing on to the patio for viewing, no cool time needed. I use a 24mm Panoptic, 18.2mm Delite, 6mm Delos and an ES 2x Barlow which gives a good range of magnifications.

image.jpeg.4e33f1805010f4bb0cab23cd7b62f947.jpeg

Avtar, two questions if I may.

Does the 150pl clear the tripod legs with your Sabre mount?
Are you just using a Telrad in place of a finder or both?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

Avtar, two questions if I may.

Does the 150pl clear the tripod legs with your Sabre mount?
Are you just using a Telrad in place of a finder or both?

Thanks

I've not had any problems with the scope hitting the tripod legs even when viewing almost at zenith.

I just use the telrad, I do have a finder but found I never needed to use it so I don't bother putting it on.

Avtar

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

Avtar, your 150pl looks small compared to my Bresser 150 f8.........maybe i should measure mine to make sure they did not send a 200

Just looks small compared to the 12" dob, not all of the 150 can be seen in the picture.

I think it looks different because you cannot see it all and it’s painted Skywatcher black, yours you can see it all and it’s painted Bresser white. Simply it’s an optical illusion.

If your tube is about 200mm it’s not a 200mm scope, perhaps the trim is thicker?

My 150p f5 is 185mm at the rim of the trim.

18 minutes ago, 25585 said:

There is a pier extension made which would help clear tripod legs

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq5heq5-extension-tube.html

It is indeed a fine and affordable option, weighs a bit though and sticks weight up high.

I am coming to the conclusion that Dobsonian mounts make great sense.

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

I think it looks different because you cannot see it all and it’s painted Skywatcher black, yours you can see it all and it’s painted Bresser white. Simply it’s an optical illusion.

If your tube is about 200mm it’s not a 200mm scope, perhaps the trim is thicker?

My 150p f5 is 185mm at the rim of the trim.

Yes its the trim that takes the tube out to near 200mm, i think the actual tube is around same as skywatcher 180-190

Archived