740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

35 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

To me, the Pi3 update is just a small step forward, and is missing out on some absolutely needed updates, i.e. multiple USB3 ports & FULL 1 GBit network, not hanging off the back of the USB2 subsystem.

These would be a real benefit for astro use certainly, but I wonder if one of the reasons that there doesn't seem a lot of pressure to provide them is that generally people aren't that bothered?

James

In the greater scheme of things, we are a small niche market, as as can be seen from the devices I quoted, providing the added functionality, would break the price point, that the Pi3 commands....

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

Do you know offhand what is unusual about the readout process?

James

No, that’s all he said, he did not elaborate on that, that’s why we are having trouble moving forward, we really need the help of SX to be honest.....

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Just received an rpi 3b+ yet cannot get ubuntu to load just a rainbow screen with a lightning bolt. anyone else had same problem as wanting to build indilib with kstars on it.

I had a Rpi3b ran ok albeit a bit slow then died so thought the + would run better but hit a brick wall. tried re imaging ubuntu to no avail Maybe Gina has some ideas on this?

Regards

Andy

On 14/03/2018 at 14:32, Fellside said:

Faster Processor, Gigabyte Ethernet , Faster WiFi (802.11.b/g/n/ac) But sadly no USB 3.0

Just note that GigE won't work at GigE throughput as it's limited by chip internal throughput (which is shared with USB and USB based WiF/BT). For a board to have USB3 or other desired connectors - the chip must implement it. Most of ARM chips is made for low power mobile or embedded use and things like USB3, SATA3, high throughput interfaces, PCIe aren't implemented. It's better to just use a simple x86 based PC with a low power CPU. It will cost bit more but it will provide desired features. Raspberry capable of handling USB3 planetary cameras with fast storage connector to a SSD with unhindered networking will require much newer and more expensive chip - and that's not the goal of this project.

Recently I got two boards from Aliexpress:

newhardware.thumb.jpg.d36bf524bca2d309f93d7ac81a7b7d23.jpg

Blue one is $86 and green one was $90. Both have low power Intel "tablet" chips. Blue is ready to use with on-board RAM and eMMC, while green needs one DIMM of RAM and some storage - in this case mSATA SSD. But still a better option may to but a nettop (barebone) PC in a nice package.

7 hours ago, riklaunim said:

Just note that GigE won't work at GigE throughput as it's limited by chip internal throughput (which is shared with USB and USB based WiF/BT). For a board to have USB3 or other desired connectors - the chip must implement it. Most of ARM chips is made for low power mobile or embedded use and things like USB3, SATA3, high throughput interfaces, PCIe aren't implemented. It's better to just use a simple x86 based PC with a low power CPU. It will cost bit more but it will provide desired features. Raspberry capable of handling USB3 planetary cameras with fast storage connector to a SSD with unhindered networking will require much newer and more expensive chip - and that's not the goal of this project.

Recently I got two boards from Aliexpress:

newhardware.thumb.jpg.d36bf524bca2d309f93d7ac81a7b7d23.jpg

Blue one is $86 and green one was $90. Both have low power Intel "tablet" chips. Blue is ready to use with on-board RAM and eMMC, while green needs one DIMM of RAM and some storage - in this case mSATA SSD. But still a better option may to but a nettop (barebone) PC in a nice package.

How about this one?

https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=7147

From $ 25 (1 GB) to $ 45 (4 GB). Works for me.

15 hours ago, fozzybear said:

Hi,

Just received an rpi 3b+ yet cannot get ubuntu to load just a rainbow screen with a lightning bolt. anyone else had same problem as wanting to build indilib with kstars on it.

I had a Rpi3b ran ok albeit a bit slow then died so thought the + would run better but hit a brick wall. tried re imaging ubuntu to no avail Maybe Gina has some ideas on this?

Regards

Andy

Hi,

The 3b+ used a different variation of Ubuntu as it is slightly different, and not sure that Ubuntu has been updated yet to work with it, I use it with the Stellarmate OS software that is an all in one solution for imaging and comes with all the software already packaged (INdI, Kstars, Phd2, update software and more)  that you will need, it saves having to try and load it all seperately....but on the down side it is $49...but makes life much easier, and is already set up for the B+..

:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

How about this one?

https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=7147

From $ 25 (1 GB) to $ 45 (4 GB). Works for me.

If it works then ok. I prefer a laptop - with fast storage, not limited to Linux only and in fully working case ;) and in EU the price will be higher too from vendor US price.

Edited by riklaunim

2 hours ago, fozzybear said:

RPI Works fine with Raspbian but not ubuntu Mate so not a power issue,.

Yes the new one does work fine with that but no yet with Ubuntu Mate...it will be a while yet before they get round to the update needed....

like I say have a look at Stellarmate OS....works superbly... :)

30 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Yes the new one does work fine with that but no yet with Ubuntu Mate...it will be a while yet before they get round to the update needed....

49-00 dollars is what I do not have at the moment to spend on yet another Spin... but thankyou for your help lightbucket.

Regards

Andy

49 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

bleeding edge more like bleeding headache:BangHead:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fozzybear said:

bleeding edge more like bleeding headache:BangHead:

It was the best thing I ever did to move away from windows to Linux, with Kstars and INdI, it’s superb to have a single software package that does the lot and it’s free, (not if you buy Stellarmate OS) it’s a superb package and Jasem at INdI is superb at helping with issues...

As you probably know it does all and more than the popular SG pro, and if I d it so much easier to use and a much better GUI too, and none of the USB, or Ascom glitches that used to ruin my sessions..

I for one would never go back to windows.... :)